Machin 19p all perfs trimmed ? Coil

Machin 19p unusual perfs?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 125/07/2014 19:45:28
187 forum posts
58 photos

CC CC 19p machinHi

I wanted to ask about this 19p machin CB . It is on piece but has 4 sides all trimmed like you would get from a booklet .

I have seen this kind if thing on 2nd class blue & PIP 2nd class stamps & thought they were from

coils cut by an often inaccurate cut , however I thought usually most coil stamps had two cut edges ??

I didn't know if these were infact available in coils .

Has anyone got any machin knowledge out there?

many thanks

Trev

Adrian27/07/2014 12:20:27
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Strange!

I checked the Deegam Handbook but there's no mention of it. My guess is that it could indeed be a coil stamp. These could come with two sides cut but if the coil dispenser also cuts rather than tears, then it would be possible to have four cut sides, I suppose.

Trevor Bishop 127/07/2014 14:42:43
187 forum posts
58 photos

Coil 2nd classHi Adrian , Yes that would seem one option although I've never come across a 19p before. The 2nd class blue here

is an example that it is possible on bulk mailings , I have lots of the 2nd class ones often with different postmarks , but I haven't found this type of coil with any other value .

Thanks

Trev

Alex27/07/2014 17:08:00
582 forum posts
12 photos

Don't think that these are necessarily coil stamps. Seems to me (if my views are worth a bean) that the guillotine that perforated thru the matrix was slightly misaligned. See this kind of thing on a regular basis on my junk mail. I don't collect British coil stamps but when I first came to the UK the post office used to have coil machines that sold you a strip of different valued Machin stamps and they all had normal perforations. On the other hand, most American and German coil stamps have two cut sides whereas a booklet stamp may have one unperforated side or two (but not on opposite sides as in coils).

Al

Edited By Alex on 27/07/2014 17:20:11

Adrian27/07/2014 19:03:46
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I think I see what you mean, Alex, but these are pre-selfadhesives, so no matrix here. Many if not all coil dispensers in post offices and supermarkets were of the kind that you were to tear off the number of stamps you paid for.

But maybe bulk mail processing machines had automated stamp separating and sticking parts which could have resulted in four sides with cut perfs. At least, I don't think they would have employed staff to tear off stamps from coils and stick them on manually.

Trevor Bishop 113/09/2014 11:59:19
187 forum posts
58 photos

Trimmed edgesHi again , Another curious find was this stamp which seems to have been trimmed as if in a coil / booklet . And yet as it still on piece I can't think why it would be like this unless someone carefully cut around it with scissors prior to putting it on which seems unlikely . Any ideas ?

Julia Lee15/09/2014 09:40:53
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Could be miscut? Slight perforation shift.

Trevor Bishop 115/09/2014 09:49:14
187 forum posts
58 photos

Hi Julia , indeed however I think this stamp was only available from being torn from sheets ? So why the trimmed edges? Unless someone knows better. Did the PO cut then out of the sheets to put them in presentation packs ? Perhaps guillotining several sheet at a time and not noticing that the sheets under the top one were slightly misaligned ?

Trev

Julia Lee15/09/2014 09:51:34
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

As far as I'm aware, they don't hand-tear sheets (except at Post Offices), so this can happen.

Ian Billings19/09/2014 11:57:04
33 forum posts
9 photos

I think the people at the bureau DO hand-tear several sheets at a time, which accounts for some of the roughperfs and torn stamps occasionally identified.

I'm pretty certain that the original posting is of a guillotined coil as Adrian stated. I've seen plenty of these on kiloware and on eBay (sold for the unusual Direct Mail postmarks as shown on the 2nd class picture).

As for the 2nd class Games stamp, I don't have anything other than speculation. Direct Mail Houses do use commemorative stamps especially 2nd class, and it is quite likely that they used this (despite it's having a conventional ink-jet postmark rather than a laser printed* one on the 2nd Machin). I have seen others with some straight edges to the perfs, and this could just be a miscut - the top perfs look torn but those at the foot are cut and trimmed.

* I believe the mailing house cancels the stamps with an inkjet or laser printer - a pre-cancel; some of this seems to be done in the same operation as printing the address.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers