BPMA sale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Julia Lee11/07/2013 17:11:09
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I'm afraid there were a lot of unsold lots at the sale.

It looked like there was interest 'on the book' (and sometimes in the room/internet) up to about 50-60% of estimate, but they often didn't hit reserve.

I'll have more info (Including hopefully actual figures) and reactions - including ideas of WHY - from various people tomorrow.

Julia Lee12/07/2013 10:42:49
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I know - it's frustrating, isn't it?

Are we all in broad agreement that a proper postal museum is good for the hobby?

I haven't got the figures for Unsolds yet, nor a response about what's next from the BPMA, but if my impressions are right, it's not looking good.

Another setback in the quest for a physical home for the museum. I remember the 'can we have it at Woolwich, no Woolwich is too damp' years, so this at least we're ahead of that, but still...

Julia Lee12/07/2013 14:01:38
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Ok, I've written up the story with lots of reaction and potential reasons.

Regardless of what I wrote, the realisations/lots sold make grim reading.

CNA - at the mo, due to the way the BPMA is set up as RM's designated archive, I'm not sure that's possible.

barry stagg12/07/2013 22:38:04
2 forum posts

Speaking as one of the few people at Sothebys for the BPMA sale I was rather disappointed with the whole event. Sadly I believed the given estimated prices; therefore I had not intended to bid as most items were out of my financial range. How wrong was I! It looked to me as if most items had a reserve of around 2/3rds of the lower estimate and many items appearred to have no bids at all. Had I only known that on Thursday then I now might be the proud owner of some unique Edward VIII items!

A Philatelist13/07/2013 02:32:27
2 forum posts

Very disappointing result. Clearly other funding models are going to have to be used.

Julia Lee15/07/2013 10:04:25
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Yes, I await some sort of BPMA statement about what's next - I must let them know our print deadline.

Julia Lee15/07/2013 16:42:44
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Barry - I meant to ask you two things a) what do you look like? (as I was there too), and b) aren't you the chap with the Parachute display, in which case would you like to do a My Collection?

barry stagg15/07/2013 17:55:08
2 forum posts

Hi Julia

I sat next to my wife two rows from the back near the door. And yes, happy to do a My Collection. Best regards.

Jack15/07/2013 21:06:14
124 forum posts

Why - or is - the various Lottery funds not involved? I would have thought it would be right up their street?

I suspect London will now always be too expensive for a building. My view is they should be looking somewhere which is already a major tourist attraction with good transport links to London - Oxford and Cambridge come to mind.

Julia Lee16/07/2013 09:53:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

The Heritage Lottery Fund is involved and has been for a long time. You have to bid for it and it's a long and complicated business, but, yes, there is HLF funding in place.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers