The GB Coronation issue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Adrian10/07/2013 15:44:45
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I know we may all suffer from 'royalty on stamps' fatigue but still I'm a little surprised no-one has as yet bothered to mention anything about the Coronation set which was issued at the end of May.

I thought the 2 star Wow factor was a bit harsh to be honest. I think I would opt for 3 stars, seeing that there are at least four stamps which I like or like very much.

To begin with the non-likes: why choose a non-finished portrait for the 2nd value when all other portraits are 'the real thing'? Including a coronation portrait is clever enough but this does not do the stamp or its subject much justice I don't think.

The 1st class, which depicts the much-heralded, newly-commissioned portraiot of the Queen, is even worse. It's been staring at me on my desk for a whole month now, on the cover of the July issue of Stamp Magazine, and every time I see it I still think it's just not her at all. Very much a missed opportunity, I would say.

So much for the two non-likes. My two likes are the Annigoni portrait on the 88p, which is a beautiful portrait indeed but the fact that it was used last year as well, makes it too repetitive, especially since I presume many other portaits could have been chosen.

I was going to say that the £1.28 stamp was my second like but actually, having looked at it properly again, I think I will up it and give it the status of 'like very much'.

Which means that the two remaining values will be classed under 'absolutely adore', and my Wow factor tally will go up to four stars. Both portraits are wonderful and work very well on a stamp. I can't really choose between the two, but if I have to I think I would go for the 78p portrait.

As much as I am a Machin fan, I think it would have been wonderful if our first class definitive would have carried a different portrait every (other) year. It would have been so good to have this 78p portrait on our daily stamps for a wee while longer, don't you think?

Carmen10/07/2013 21:29:52
650 forum posts
61 photos

I'm with you, Adrian... that 1st Class class portrait does nothing for me.

Alex11/07/2013 05:14:29
583 forum posts
13 photos

Sorry to disagree with you, but I thought that the 2nd class prep study was the best of the whole set. It isn't as formal as the others and shows the young queen in a rather intimate fashion. The colors of the prep study, and the whole 'feel' of it, perfectly sums up that early 1950s period. It echos some of the magazine illustrations of the time which the ordinary people of Britain would have been familiar with, rather than the oils.

Julia Lee11/07/2013 09:19:52
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Yes, I agree with Alex. It's a vision of the queen we don't usually see, and it is actually from the Coronation. The most successful for me, as a new stamp.

Agreed the 1st class doesn't look much like the Queen, but bizarrely, if you take the whole painting (as repro'd in the August Stamp Magazine) and hold it at arms' length, it does begin to look like the Queen.

Jack11/07/2013 15:59:22
124 forum posts

I'm totally tired of series after series of Royalty stamps - and I'm not a making a political point.. Set of baby royal stamps anyone?

Carmen13/07/2013 13:28:03
650 forum posts
61 photos

My only argument for a set of royal baby stamps in this case would be because this particular baby will be the heir to the throne. For that reason alone, I'd issue a set, and I'd include a picture of the Queen with Prince Charles, Prince William and the baby to show the four generations of queens and kings/queens to be.

Yours in Monarchist zeal... cheeky

Adrian13/07/2013 15:17:23
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I agree with the baby argument, but not with the four generations thing. The last time that was attempted resulted in a hideous miniature sheet, so maybe not eh?!

smiley

Baby stamps are usually pretty boring too, though.

Julia Lee15/07/2013 10:20:54
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Baby pics in general are dull to those who are not related!

From my specially prepared 'Royal Baby File' (which mostly consists of Prince William on stamps):

2000 queen mother ms.jpg

Jack15/07/2013 21:01:27
124 forum posts

Getting back to the topic as given ; I liked the 1937 Coronation stamp not least as it was - gosh - just one stamp!

Adrian16/07/2013 08:05:33
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Really? I've always found that an ugly stamp, even though it was only the one...

smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers