All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

New Machins before tariff change

New Machins before tariff change

Three new colours released on March 27.

Rob Newcombe18/06/2013 17:31:37
1 forum posts

I came across some FRAMA FDC's with a 1 May 1984 FDI Truro cancel. I can't find any reference to FDC's from any where other than Cambridge, Southampton, Windsor, Edinburgh and London EC where the FRAMA machines were installed. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Julia Lee19/06/2013 14:26:22
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Because that file is listed as artwork, I don't know if it will contain details of the labels in use.

But searching the BPMA catalogue is a good idea.

The alternative would be to send me a pic and I'll put it in front of Don Staddon as a Q&A for the mag.

My email address is my first name then dot then my surname, then at mytimemedia dot com.

Apologies for the long-winded method of describing it, but I'm getting a lot of spam!

John McCallum24/06/2013 16:24:37
409 forum posts
583 photos

The locations Rob gives are the locations of the machines. Two packets were available on the first day from philatelic counters at post offices around the UK. The small pack had three stamps - first, second and a make up label. The large pack had all 32 values fom 0.5p to 16p. A number of local offices may have used other cancels. I have examples with "Codesort comes to Manchester" as the "first day cancel". The odds are that your example came from one of these packets and cancelled locally.

The Frama experiment only lasted about a year but it was possible to purchase labels from a machine at the National Postal Museum on white stock. (Note: There are examples from Windsor on white stock because the engineer installed the wrong stock.

npm 002.jpg

John McCallum24/06/2013 16:35:54
409 forum posts
583 photos

Manchester first day obtained when I worked in Manchester and prepared using the contents of the small pack.

0f.jpg

londonec 001.jpg

King Edward Building where both the NPM and Frama machine used to be. The London EC1 machine was close to where the PO "lollipop" sign is.

shirley po.jpg

Shirley PO in Southampton with the Frama machine in situ (arrowed)

If you have a look at the Post and Go album on this site, there are some more pictures of the Frama machines.

John McCallum29/06/2013 11:46:12
409 forum posts
583 photos

Forgot to say that there was a third pack produced with two new values when the postal rates went up. (16.5p and 17p)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers