By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff CHILDS25/09/2018 06:43:33
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
1998_80th Anniversary the Great War The American Offensive Meuse Argonne Whitehall London SW1
Geoff (GBCC) www.gbcovercollector.co.uk

1998_80th anniversary the great war the american offensive meuse argonne whitehall london sw1_11387.jpg

Geoff CHILDS26/09/2018 06:37:39
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2001_50th Anniversary of De Havilland DH110 Hatfield Hertfordshire

2001_50th anniversary of de havilland dh110 hatfield hertfordshire_13467.jpg

Geoff CHILDS27/09/2018 06:43:13
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2000_Stockton & Darlington Railway 175th Anniversary Shildon

2000_stockton & darlington railway 175th anniversary shildon_12892.jpg

Geoff CHILDS28/09/2018 06:41:36
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2002_Seattle 78th Anniversary of The First Flight Around The World BFPS

2002_seattle 78th anniversary of the first flight around the world bfps_14097.jpg

Geoff CHILDS29/09/2018 08:04:06
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2001_Henley Home of Rowing Olympic Games 1908 1948 River & Rowing Museum SOC AFCOS Henley

2001_henley home of rowing olympic games 1908 1948 river & rowing museum soc afcos henley_13468.jpg

Geoff CHILDS30/09/2018 07:57:37
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2011_Arnold Machin Centenary The belief that a diminutive design such as a stamp does not require detail I think is very much mistaken Arnold Machin 1969 Windsor

2011_arnold machin centenary the belief that a diminutive design such as a stamp does not require detail i think is  very much mistaken arnold machin 1969 windsor_17977.jpg

duncan McMillan30/09/2018 08:28:43
1 forum posts

Back in the 60s and early 70s when I was at school I became interested in Special Event Handstamps, particularly the ones carried in some way, but also the story behind them, as well as TPO handstamps. My variant at the time was that I also tried to write to people relevant to the event stamp and ask them to autograph it and they often did so and provided a letter explaining more about it. At that time I also got a few of the FDCs autographed as well.

I also got covers for certain slogans and I was very lucky that one of them was for the 'Mole Wrench' and the company very kindIy sent me a a small Mole Wrench that I still have. I also remember that for the World Cup Rally, I went all out and even managed to get some of the competitors to carry one of my envelopes for me and got it signed and postmarked when they reached their final destination ...... some not in Mexico.

My gut feel is that the main value, I imagine, like in the stamp collections, is in the fun of collecting, memories of the events where I was lucky to attend them, and the memory of the challenges e.g. where a cover obtained an anomalous cancellation. I certainly get a feel for the excitement of the earlier 20th century covers for things such as first air post between two places, particularly where they are international.

So I am wondering if the decrease in interest in stamps with the decrease in mail, and general focus of teenagers etc has also lead to a decrease in interest in special event covers and flying covers? Also, does the decrease in interest and value extend back to the earlier stamps?

I was also wondering if the significant increase in interest in family history might at some time in the future increase interest in postal history, stamps and covers, and covers relevant to ancestors.

Geoff CHILDS01/10/2018 06:38:37
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2010_Celebrating Her Maiden Voyages Queen Elizabeth Southampton

2010_celebrating her maiden voyages queen elizabeth southampton_17642.jpg

Geoff CHILDS01/10/2018 19:20:17
2150 forum posts
2157 photos
Posted by duncan McMillan on 30/09/2018 08:28:43:

Back in the 60s and early 70s when I was at school I became interested in Special Event Handstamps, particularly the ones carried in some way, but also the story behind them, as well as TPO handstamps. My variant at the time was that I also tried to write to people relevant to the event stamp and ask them to autograph it and they often did so and provided a letter explaining more about it. At that time I also got a few of the FDCs autographed as well.

I also got covers for certain slogans and I was very lucky that one of them was for the 'Mole Wrench' and the company very kindIy sent me a a small Mole Wrench that I still have. I also remember that for the World Cup Rally, I went all out and even managed to get some of the competitors to carry one of my envelopes for me and got it signed and postmarked when they reached their final destination ...... some not in Mexico.

My gut feel is that the main value, I imagine, like in the stamp collections, is in the fun of collecting, memories of the events where I was lucky to attend them, and the memory of the challenges e.g. where a cover obtained an anomalous cancellation. I certainly get a feel for the excitement of the earlier 20th century covers for things such as first air post between two places, particularly where they are international.

So I am wondering if the decrease in interest in stamps with the decrease in mail, and general focus of teenagers etc has also lead to a decrease in interest in special event covers and flying covers? Also, does the decrease in interest and value extend back to the earlier stamps?

I was also wondering if the significant increase in interest in family history might at some time in the future increase interest in postal history, stamps and covers, and covers relevant to ancestors.

Duncan,

Interesting post, one of the reasons of creating the website GB CoverCollector and posting on Forums/ Social media is to try and spread the word around Special Event Postmarks and also slogans.Dare I say it is a 'scatter gun' piece of PR because you never know who is reading what you post and it may be preaching to the converted. The reduction in stamped and posted mail will have an impact on getting that first spark of interest when something comes thru the letter box which will then make a new generation probe a bit further. Slogans still appear on mail but to a much reduced level compared to the 1960's/1970's. New Special Event postmarks I don't think are publicised enough by Royal Mail and Private sponsors ( Cover producers) probably price a young generation out of entering the hobby. We can all do our little bit to forge that interest that you had yourself back in the 60's

Will an increase occur due to a rse in family history research etc, Sadly my own view is it will not have any significant impact to the upside of interest in this particular hobby.

Keep spreading the word.

Geoff CHILDS02/10/2018 06:45:46
2150 forum posts
2157 photos

Postmark of the Day
2006_Advert Booklet HM The Queen Buckingham Gate London SW1

2006_advert booklet hm the queen buckingham gate london sw1_16054.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers