By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Doctor Who Prestige stamp book

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Mal Dixon28/03/2013 11:41:12
1 forum posts

How can Royal Mail justify charging £13.77 for this book containing stamps with a face value of £10.22.

The practice of adding a premium on top of face value began with Ariel Post in 2011 and a premium of aroung £1 has been added to all PSB's since then. It is difficult to justify a £1 premium on stamp products which only collectors will buy!

An increase to £3.55 is totally unacceptable. I will not be collecting PSB's from now on.

maldix

Ralph29/03/2013 12:14:24
5 forum posts

I don't know either. Royal Mail are just putting more and more real collectors, like me, off. They must be relying on the 'manufactured collectable' market. And I completely agree with you, adding any premium is just WRONG!

Ralph.

Adrian29/03/2013 15:34:29
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Hi Maldix and welcome to the forum! As you can see you're not the only one up in arms about this premium business. I must admit (having stopped buying new issues in 2003) I hadn't given the pricing of this prestige booklet any thought at all, but I would agree it does seem a bit stiff.

Martin29/03/2013 19:29:46
46 forum posts

These stamps are really gorgeous, probably my favourite set of 2013 so far.... my dilemma is sticking the stamp set with the miniature sheet to have a full page of Dr. Who or casing the miniature sheet inside the miniature sheet album on its own, bit of a moral dilemma.

As for PSBs I never got the appeal of those, its too much to collect, I rather concentrate on Mint/Used stamps, FDC and Presentation Packs and for the first time I bought the smiler generic sheet, it probably be a one-off though. Dr. Who is my guilty pleasure ever since I was a wee little lad, watching Tom Baker as Dr. Who on a Saturday night hiding behind the sofa. Oops showing my age now. Ha Ha. I will be glued to the TV set tomorrow night.

Edited By Martin on 29/03/2013 19:31:37

Jack01/04/2013 13:47:53
124 forum posts

I buy an PSB near Christmas to use the stamps on mail to friends and family (many of whom have been trained to keep the cover for me) so I get real postal use of them. Otherwise I avoid them like the plague.

SA01/04/2013 20:42:04
49 forum posts

I guess the answer to the question about the price - £13.77 for face value of £10.22, is that you get more inside the booklet than first appears from the outside......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers