By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which engravers / engraved stamps do you most admire?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian31/12/2017 10:45:34
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

France’s guidelines for stamp design were so much stricter than Pierre Béquet was used to for the French Southern and Antarctic Territories. All corrections demanded by the French Post had to be implemented or else the job would go to someone else. It is therefore no wonder that his favourite French stamp was the 1972 issue to mark the bicentenary of the discovery of the Crozet Islands and Kerguelen. His essay was accepted and when he was asked how he would like to proceed, Béquet answered: "By having my artwork accepted without any changes to the design and/or colours". This request was granted, and the stamp was eventually issued exactly how Béquet had envisaged it.

4.jpg

Adrian03/01/2018 08:58:32
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

While working on that long-running series of French stamps promoting tourism, Pierre Béquet got again the chance to model a number of stamps after his own ideas, creating a little mini series within the series. The stamps in question are those depicting the Saint-Jean in Lyon and the Notre Dame in Louviers (both 1981) and Ripaille Castle (1982). Béquet engraved those three buildings in exactly the way one would see them when standing in front of them. Printed in monochrome against a white background, they really are like classic engravings and work both in that way, showing off the engraving quality, and in the way that they stand out from more usual depictions of buildings. For the Ripaille Castle stamp, Béquet received his fourth Grand Prix de l’Art Philatélique.

3q.jpg3a.jpg5.jpg

som ghatak 121/01/2018 16:35:47
17 forum posts
13 photos

View of Aix en Provence - end of 17th centuryFrance -Philatelic Document2Recently i am working on my French collection Philatelic Documents, and honestly i am in love with below two specially thought of sharing these with you..Philatelic Document -Engraved portionFrance -Philatelic Document1

som ghatak 121/01/2018 16:37:33
17 forum posts
13 photos

Both works seems done by Durrens, any one collect these items? can we see some more examples?

Adrian22/01/2018 09:04:38
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I love those! The illustrations on those philatelic documents are usually hand-engraved as well, which is a huge bonus. Here's one Pierre Béquet engraved for his Marianne stamps.

14.jpg

Your example is even better, because, as you can see, the original stamp was not engraved, so Durrens (I presume) had to engrave the stamp as well. I've got a similar one by Eve Luquet. Here is the extra illustration for the 1992 Red Cross stamp, Luquet's engraving of the stamp itself (which, again, originally wasn't engraved), and a die proof of her stamp.

1992b.jpg

1992a.jpg

1992c.jpg

I've got some more but I need to dig them out and scan them, so they'll follow in the next couple of days or so.

Adrian23/01/2018 09:30:32
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Here's one Jubert engraved for the 1981 Fencing issue

1981a.jpg1981c.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers