By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which engravers / engraved stamps do you most admire?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Lee02/05/2013 10:59:47
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Those are marvellous, Michael, especially the Forest one.

Didn't Rainier ask Princess Grace to give up her screen career when she married him - thought it wasn't quite seemly?

So that would fit well with taking Piaz's name off the stamp.

Michael Chambers03/05/2013 01:04:22
277 forum posts
255 photos

CNA - thanks very much for those fascinating insights into the art and challenges of engraving. It really underlines what phenomenal skill they demonstrate. They certainly don't come much better than Rudolph Toth!

Juiia - I think you are right about Rainier's opposition to Princess Grace doing any more film work. A great shame as the handful of films she did make including Rear Widow, Dial M for Murder , High Noon and High Society were so good.

Michael Chambers05/05/2013 19:21:15
277 forum posts
255 photos

Another great Austrian engraver with a flair for landscapes was Professor Alfred Nefe. Here are a few of my favourites:

• the bicentenary of the Vienna prater, the city's large public park, 1966
  • the hundreth anniversary of the Austrian Alpine Club, 1978
  • Rigersburg Castle, 1978
  • Attersee, 1977

In all four cases the designer was Otto Zeiller. CNA's comments above on the technical work involved in achieving the shading and other effects makes me admire them even more.

Adrian06/05/2013 15:42:05
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Just come back from a couple of days up north and I see I have a lot of catching up to do! I was still enthralled by Woyty-Wimmer, so here's the Maria stamp mentioned some posts before.

2a.jpg

Here's another stamp by the same engraver from the same set.

2b.jpg

Edited By Adrian on 06/05/2013 15:42:39

Adrian07/05/2013 15:08:28
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

It is true that knowing how these little works of art are created makes you appreciate them even more, and the acid info certainly helps to appreciate those mountain and view stamps. Don't get me wrong though, I too believe recess printing can tackle every subject, I was merely pondering the amazing achievement of creating lifelike images of a living thing in recess. My favourite Nefe engraving (of the very few I have) is therefore yet again a portrait, I'm afraid.

7b.jpg

Look at that beard, that forehead, those eyes. It is so absolutely stunning!

som ghatak07/05/2013 20:24:41
139 forum posts
90 photos

Wonderful display of stamps!!! Thanks all for sharing..

I could not help but sharing thse two of my austrian favourites of what i have:

Engraved by Rudolph Toth and Stefferl..img_0002.jpg

img_0001.jpg

Michael Chambers07/05/2013 22:08:28
277 forum posts
255 photos

Thanks for all those fantastic images.

Som - Thanks for those. I think Otto Stefferl produced some very special work both as a designer and engraver.

CNA- thanks for those enlargements which bring out the quality of the engraving perfectly. It's made me realise that I need to scan stamps at a higher DPI resolution. I've been scanning at 600 but the ones below are at 1200. It makes a big difference!

Anyway, I was prompted by your reference to Kurt Leitgeb to put up some of his work. He, too, had a stunning talent. In deference to Adrian these are all wonderful portraits!

Just a bit about Kurt Leitgeb first which I have gleaned from the International Engraver's Line. He was born in Germany in 1939 and the family moved to Vienna following his father's release from Russian captivity after WWII. He went on to study under Prof. Hans Ranzoni at the Graphic Teaching Research Institute. He joined the Austrian National Bank in 1959 and served his apprenticeship under Profs Toth and Nefe. With teachers like that he obviously coudn't go wrong! he engraved his first stamp in 1969 and went on to engrave over a hundred more until his retirement in the 1990s. He also engraved for Luxembourg and the Vatican.

The fours stamps below show the composers Richard Strauss and Christoh W Gluck, Franz A Maulbertsch and a portrit by Titian.

leitgeb5.jpeg

leitgeb 4.jpeg

leitgeb 3.jpeg

leitgeb2.jpeg

Julia Lee08/05/2013 15:43:34
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I met Harry, the new BPMA press guy, yesterday. He has no background in stamps, but he's being slowly but surely hooked.

He told me that for the Bicentenary of Mail Coaches issue, 1984, which was done by Czeslaw Slania, someone dropped one of the dies.

So they told Slania, obviously, and by the time they'd got around to sending him the drawings again, etc, he'd done the entire thing again FROM MEMORY.

Adrian10/05/2013 09:57:47
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Thanks for that cNA. Great to have it from the horse's mouth!

Maybe you could twist the son's arms a bit (carefully, though, for he won't be a spring chicken anymore I don't think) and let him compile a definitive list of Piel's engravings! Wouldn't that be something?!

smiley

Michael Chambers11/05/2013 19:42:47
277 forum posts
255 photos

CNA - I think everyone would be fascinated to see the engravings of the Queen and Prince Philip. It's always interesting to see the non-philatelic work of great engravers - all those boxers that Slania engraved, for instance.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers