Full 2013 programme announced

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Julia Lee03/01/2013 10:16:43
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I do think Mackennal is famous/iconic enough among stamp collectors; the Stampex timing and Seahorses sheet suggest this is an issue aimed directly at stamp collectors. Is that the point of the stamp programme though?

Gill's work was on the Greetings stamps of 1995 (it's the yellow and black one), but we don't have an image in our files I'm afraid.

Julia Lee03/01/2013 14:59:52
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

JUST realised the 2013 Europa theme is 'The Postman's Van' to celebrate 20 years of Post Europ. (Courtesy of the essential-for-Europa-collectors blog Europa Stamps)

How the heck is THAT going to fit in? Bear in mind, Royal Mail rarely do a 'straight' treatment of the theme. At the mo, the only thing I can see is ?Morris vans? in British Auto Legends.

Thoughts?

Adrian04/01/2013 19:08:17
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Julia wrote:

Gill's work was on the Greetings stamps of 1995 (it's the yellow and black one), but we don't have an image in our files I'm afraid.

Well, I do thankfully, so here it is:

4a.jpg

Michael Chambers05/01/2013 00:07:46
277 forum posts
255 photos

Thanks for finding that . A very attractive stamp.

Just picking up Julia's comment about whether commemorating stamp designers is a legitimate use of the stamp programme, it is interesting that France has issued stamps to commemorate one or two of its most renowned stamp designers such as Albert Decaris. I can't immediately think of other examples elsewhere but there probably are some. I think it is a legitimate use of a stamp programme as long as it is used sparingly and reserved for truly outstanding and prolific designers / engravers..

Nigel05/01/2013 12:20:35
54 forum posts

Do we know exactly what the Mackennal centenary issue will be?

I'm assuming it will be a miniature sheet...thinking

Julia Lee07/01/2013 10:59:08
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

To Michael: Of course, the GB programme did Arnold Machin not too long ago! I think Mackennal is enough of a byword ('the Mackennal head' among philatelists to qualify. Well, I would, if I didn't remind cynical about the chance to put KGV stamps on modern stamps and sell them...

To Nigel: No, we don't have numbers/formats yet. I would guess it will be a miniature sheet - the two inspirations I can see for it are that Machin MS and the London 2010 issue.

Jack07/01/2013 17:14:20
124 forum posts

Much as I'd appreciate seeing something other than boring sports people on stamps I supect Eric Gill would be amongst the last to feature ona stamp as his sexual behabiour is beyond acceptable bounds. And normally I dont care about usch things. Read Wiki.

Julia Lee07/01/2013 17:17:13
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Yeah, absolutely - Gill is right out.

I would start a discussion about which GB designers would be 'household names' (at least in philately) to feature, but that would divert the thread...

Martin09/03/2013 12:43:00
46 forum posts

I think the Bertram and Seahorses pack have been pulled, they are not on the revised 2013 Stamp programme no more. It be great if they have, having 3 sets out on the 19 September, September is going to be a bit pricy

Adrian09/03/2013 14:23:02
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I just checked the Norvic Philatelic website and they don't mention those two particular items either. Where did you find the revised programme? It would be quite a relief, though I will only believe it when I see it!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers