All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Adrian14/12/2012 09:20:03
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Here are the results from the North East jury:

Durham, 11 December 2012: no queue at all at either of the two P&G kiosks, longish queue at the normal counters. Lucky me! Kiosk 1 had the Machin design (again: lucky me!) and kiosk 2 the cattle design.

14g.jpg

14b.jpg

York, 12 December 2012: enormous queues at the normal counters and also small queues at the two P&G kiosks. Loads of people sending off their Christmas mail and parcels, so good use was made of the P&G facility. What didn't help, though, was that the fast counter for the parcels wasn't always manned so people had to then run around the post office to find someone to help them get rid of their bulky mail.

Kiosk 1 sold the flag design and finally I managed to get a 2012 Christmas robin design, sold from kiosk 2! The MA12 code can be found top right of '20g'.

14c.jpg

14d.jpg

Edited By Adrian on 14/12/2012 09:20:18

Julia Lee14/12/2012 09:26:08
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

The problem I found - I meant to mention this last time I went - was that now the machines are more complicated, if someone in front of you doesn't 'get' it, you can really be held up for a long time.

Carmen14/12/2012 12:42:21
650 forum posts
61 photos

Well yes, because technology will save us all time, dontcha know! wink

John McCallum16/12/2012 17:45:15
409 forum posts
583 photos

Three more Hytech Screens taken from kiosks at Camden Pop up PO

img_0399.jpg

img_0400.jpg

img_0402.jpg

John McCallum23/12/2012 11:39:21
409 forum posts
583 photos

Kiosk B1 Information Wanted

I have been asked for information on the use of Kiosk B1 at Autumn Stampex. It was noticed that the date-line (1952-2012) is slightly indented from the line above (Diamond Jubilee) on the Cattle stamps erroneously overprinted for the Diamond Jubilee (it is clearly visible in the image on the pmechuk website). Can anyone supply jpeg images of items from this “backroom” kiosk (and time of purchase) as it is of interest as to when the indented date-line first occurred, by looking for the first overprinted Flag stamps from B1 with the same indent. So far, the indent is present on Flag stamps from session 334 at 12.48, session 390 at 15.06, session 446 at 17.50 all on 28 September; the latter session is very close to session 452 which produced the Cattle overprint. So it would be expected that the indent may have occurred on stamps from session 361 at 13.50 that you report in the table on the website.

Any additional information would be gratefully welcomed. Apart from knowing when the indent variant first occurred, it would also be interesting to know if it continued on stamps issued on Saturday 29 September, but so far no examples have been illustrated on the internet.

E-mail me at pmechuk@gmail.com

Edited By John McCallum on 23/12/2012 11:40:41

Edited By John McCallum on 23/12/2012 11:41:27

Edited By John McCallum on 23/12/2012 11:42:02

John McCallum29/12/2012 20:37:21
409 forum posts
583 photos

Wishing everyone a Prosperous New Year and setting a bit of a puzzle for you all.

An Australian contact has received some Flag Faststamps posted from the Exeter area - Bideford Devon can be read on one cancel. However Bideford is EX39 whereas Exeter is EX1, Exmouth EX8 and Barnstaple EX31. The tag codes on two of the envelopes indicate processing on IMP3 at Heathrow World Distribution Centre (between Heathrow and Slough) since it is overseas mail. Session numbers are not in the same range as the Trafalgar Square/William IV Street examples from July 2012.

Has Bideford gained a Wincor? If not which machine had the glitch around 29 November 2012?

post & go ww 30g cover_002.jpg

post & go ww 30g cover_003.jpg

Information on these would be most welcome. pmechuk@gmail.com

John McCallum30/12/2012 13:41:17
409 forum posts
583 photos

RE LAST POST

I have made a few inquiries which suggest that these covers may be forgeries. I would welcome feedback from UK collectors and others who may have similar items in their collection. The items were posted in the Bideford/Exeter/Devon area around the 29th November 2012.

John McCallum11/01/2013 13:04:02
409 forum posts
583 photos

The first entry on this thread was on suspected pulled faststamps. The reason I requested this was that at the 2011 Autumn Stampex some people produced "errors" of this form. There was a report that a video of the occurrence at the 2012 Stampex showing that the 2012 examples are genuine. The link is:

**LINK**

It is deplorable that evidence has to be produced as to whether an item is genuine or not but forgeries have gotten through in the past because they weren't questioned at the time.

I am not a dealer or philatelic expert. I am just someone with an interest in this field wanting to learn.

John McCallum21/01/2013 11:08:43
409 forum posts
583 photos

Postagelabelsuk.com has images of the two versions of the kiosk B1 varieties of the overprint. As regards the York Stamp fair, Brian intimates that no overprint appeared on fastamps produced.

John McCallum25/01/2013 11:17:11
409 forum posts
583 photos

I have started a newsletter primarily covering the Wincor-Nixdorf and Hytech kiosks in the UK but, subject to what material comes my way, I hope to widen the scope to other UK computer vended postage - e.g. Frama, Weigh and Pay, Horizon, etc. I have called it ATM Informer.

There are two ways of obtaining a copy - either by e-mailing me at pmechuk@gmail.com or via my website **LINK** and down load the file(s).

In the first two issues, I have tried to indicate some of the material out there and define some terms associated with the UK faststamps. I have also presented some information on a couple of offices and the session number change with time.

Why? Brian Sinnott's postagelabelsuk.com is an excellent site full of information on all of the issues. His reporting of "FDC"s of Bristol Faststamps cancelled in Glasgow highlighted a weakness and I thought that I could help by recording what came my way and put it into the public domain. My efforts are in support but INDEPENDENT of the excellent work that he has produced.

How much? Since the newsletter will only be distributed electronically, it is free!!! However, I would welcome input from you in the form of session numbers, dates, stamps vended at offices you have visited, short pieces on your finds or even longer articles. Every little helps! I would prefer doc and jpeg files as my software is Vista.

How often? I hope to publish the newsletter on a monthly basis. The size of each issue will depend on news received, what new issues have been released and what information that you e-mail. One advantage of an electronic format is that I don't have to worry about producing an even number of pages each issue. Another is that images should be in colour if I receive colour images.

Edited By John McCallum on 25/01/2013 11:19:01

Edited By John McCallum on 25/01/2013 11:20:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers