All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Adrian31/10/2012 14:45:52
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

It worked!

Here's the P&G stamp on the cover. Now I always thought that if not going for the stamps option, but for the posting something option, you'd get a white label with info rather than one of those Post & Go stamps. So I'm thoroughly confused... And what's a PAG anyway....

face 2

But thanks for the goodies, Julia, much appreciated!

laugh

Julia Lee01/11/2012 14:48:46
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Thread jack:

Highland Cow, per stamp, wanders in Lanarkshire street. (Great photo).

/end Thread jack.

John McCallum02/11/2012 11:13:00
409 forum posts
583 photos

The box on the receipt is for the receiving officer's signature/ signed for numeral.

PAG stands for Post And Go. Although the Post Office brands these Wincor-Nixdorf kiosks as Post and Go, this term is used with the word stamp to refer to the Machins and the pictorials. These were originally called Faststamps. Post and go LABELS are the "smart stamp" style alternative sold by the kiosks. One such example is illustrated here. This example is from Lavender Hill - about 2-300 yards from Clapham Railway Station. There is one kiosk there.

3lavender.jpg

Julia Lee02/11/2012 11:17:02
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Ah, I knew you'd be along to add clarity! Thanks John.

Are the LABELS, as illustrated, what you get if you press 'Buy Stamps'? (Essentially, folks, you get asked if you want to Post An Item or Buy Stamps).

John McCallum02/11/2012 12:51:58
409 forum posts
583 photos

These are obtained on "Post an Item". However, if the rate to be paid fits one of the Faststamp six, you may get that instead. I find it handy to use some loose change on the balance instead of an envelope to get some of the other PAG labels.

As a rough guide, a 1p coin is roughly 4.54g, 2p coin is about 9g. So if you want a PAG label at a higher than basic rate, one can use coins to get to the level required. (£1 worth of copper coins should weigh 1lb (454g))

The "Buy Stamps" option gives the six basic rates: 1st, 1st large, Europe and the three worldwide rates.

Adrian02/11/2012 15:44:48
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Okay, so when you choose 'Buy Stamps', you get the PAG stamps, such as the cows etc, and when you choose 'Post an Item', you will probably get a PAG label or possibly a PAG stamp. And will the PAG stamp in this second case receive a PAG string or a non-PAG string?

I'm asking this because I presume Julia will have chosen Post an Item when she mailed me her envelope, and yet she did receive a PAG stamp (which you've explained is possible), but it does not include PAG in the string.

John McCallum02/11/2012 17:26:12
409 forum posts
583 photos

Only the smartstamp style labels will receive the PAG addition as in the Lavender Hill example above. This is where the confusion occurs. The Machins were originally described as "faststamps" while the white labels were the "post and goes". However the marketing put the Wincors system as Post and Go hence the confusion.

So to some extent, I may be seen as a bit out of step with officialdom when I use the two terms. Faststamps are the Machins and pictorials. The "Horizon" and "Smartstamp" style labels are the PAGs. The PO are now describing the Pictorials as PAGs. Clear as Mud!?

Well it should be! The term Post and Go dates back to a previous two systems circa 2008-9 produced by Fujitsu and Pitney Bowes. Fujitsus were trialled at Gorton in Manchester, Clapham and a few others Pitney Bowes offices included Birmingham. Only two values were available - 1st class and 2nd class. Both types of kiosk produced labels similar to the white Horizon labels. Both systems were describes as Post and Go. The kiosks were slow and, allegedly, unreliable according to one source.

Before that was the Weigh and Pay system. Three machines were used at Broadgate, Luton and Alfreton. One of these machines is now in the BPMA collection. This machine was seen as too complicated for the public.

John McCallum08/11/2012 21:42:37
409 forum posts
583 photos

Kiosk Update:

Croydon now has 5 kiosks. According to staff, kiosks 4 and 5 were installed circa April 2012. (confirmation of actual date would be welcome).Kiosks 1 and 2 have been converted to cash payments only. Robin Christmas stamps were available on all 5 kiosks on 7 /11/12.

Broadway (010011) both desks selling Robins. Farringdon Road (100003) also Robins.

Trafalgar Square (015010) kiosks 3 and 4 veending Robins, kiosk 1 Pigs and kiosk 2 Cattle.

John McCallum21/11/2012 17:58:16
409 forum posts
583 photos

http://postagelabelsuk.com/hytech-machines-a3-and-a4-appear-temporary-post-office-in-london-producing-exclusive-products/

This gives details on two new Hytech kiosks (A3 and A4) in use at Camden Market, London, NW1.

Julia Lee21/11/2012 22:13:51
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

They are indeed! I sent our intrepid reporter (my mum, who works locally) to buy them. I'm not going to scan them tonight, but on Friday (not in tomorrow), I will scan you some A4 (machine, not paper size) Robins.

She did say it was very, very difficult to find and she had to ask loads of stallholders before she found it. She was also the only person there on a Tuesday lunchtime.

It's 'near the horse statue' apparently, should anyone be planning to follow in her footsteps.

Edited By Julia Lee on 23/11/2012 11:43:47

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers