By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Post and Go/Faststamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

John McCallum03/10/2012 18:14:44
409 forum posts
583 photos

It would appear that someone may have been "pulling" the Hytech labels as they were being dispensed from one of the kiosks. Something similar happened about a year ago. This resulted in a modification to the kiosk at Spring Stampex to prevent this re-occurring. However, the new kiosks at Autumn Stampex did not have this modification.

At least two strips are on offer on e-bay (3/10/12) at £95 and £195. Session numbers appear to be around the 300 mark but the quality of the image is poor. This would suggest that the "fault" occurred on the Friday.

I would welcome details of other examples of this "fault". e-mailaddress: pmechuk@gmail.com

Adrian03/10/2012 19:12:49
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I had a look on ebay, not knowing much about this subject, so is it that through pulling at the strips, they miss out on having their value imprinted? So I presume the coils enter the kiosk preprinted with regard to the images?

Is there a list of kiosks in GB? Are there any in Edinburgh perhaps? I'll be going there soon so I might be able to look out for something for you. But you'll have to 'dummy' instruct me!

John McCallum03/10/2012 19:44:32
409 forum posts
583 photos

Yes. With the stamps from last year, they were produced by pulling the labels as they were being printed. To overcome this, a guard was put over the delivery chute to prevent people reaching the labels as they cam out of the printer. This latesr version of the Hytech kiosk did not have the guard.

There are listings of the Wincor-Nixdorf equipped offices. Brian Sinnott's ukpostagelabels gives a listing and my pmechuk site builds on Brian's by adding details of usage and what was available.

There are two offices equipped with the Wincor kiosks in Edinburgh; - St James, 8-10 St,James Centre, Edinburgh, EH1 3SR (ident 003824 with 2 kiosks) and 40 Frederick Street EH2 1EY (ident 007824 with 1 kiosk).

The labels come pre-printed with the design and security print. The text is printed on demand giving the service and a string which gives the office ident, kiosk, session number anf transaction within the session.

The kiosks found in post offices are all of Wincor-Nixdorf Propostal 2000 type. The ones at recent Stampex events are Hytech.

Adrian03/10/2012 21:11:59
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

And was it just the Hytech kiosks which experienced the pulling problem?

John McCallum04/10/2012 10:57:42
409 forum posts
583 photos

Yes. The Wincor kiosks at most post office have guards which prevent people putting their hand up the delivery chute.

A genuine variety from Stampex has been offered on ebay. This is the Cattle stamps with the flag style jubilee overprint from kiosk B1. This was one of the two kiosks in the back of the stand. There were two kiosks B1 and B2 which were to produce the stamps for pre-ordered stamps and to meet collectors' needs on the day.

The Kings Square, Gloucester (ident 014532) were producing the cattle stamps with the larger font1. This fault has happened before at this office. There may be other offices producing font 1 varieties and I would welcome reports

Julia Lee09/10/2012 10:35:47
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

UPDATE - PERTH ONLY OVERPRINT:

Post & Go at Perth 2012

Royal Mail will be providing two ‘Next Generation’ Post & Go Units at Perth 2012 [ie Hytech]. These units are A1 and A2 and had their debut at Autumn Stampex in September 2012. Each stamp purchased is vended with a unique number and optionally an overprint, depending on the reel chosen. Stamp reels may change during the course of an exhibition. One of the machines will use the unique overprint available only at Perth:

PERTH 2012

19-21 OCTOBER

The stamps to be used are the Union Flag and Machin head.

Collectors may purchase individual stamps via on screen buttons or use the ‘Collectors Strip’ buttons to print all six price variants of the stamps on each reel.

Julia Lee09/10/2012 10:36:10
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Is this the start of exhibition overprints (more generally than Stampex, I mean)?

brian sinnott - postagelabelsuk.com09/10/2012 22:44:45
37 forum posts

Yes - expect to see the Next-Gen Hytech units on tour ...

Brian

Julia Lee11/10/2012 08:26:07
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I've been informed the overprint will read 20-22 October, not the dates above.

Adrian11/10/2012 09:25:14
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Finally had the chance to go up to Edinburgh yesterday so I thought I'd better go to one of those Post & Go kiosks and see what happens. I went to the one in the Frederick Street post office, and got myself six first class stamps. And here they are:

First thing I noticed was that my assumption that these kiosks would be fed with coils is wrong, because as you can see my order (and that of the lady before me) came in two bits, so I presume the kiosk gets fed with strips of six rather than coils?

Other than that I don't think there were many surprises. The kiosk's identity code is given, as is the session number, and the stamps themselves are also numbered. The receipt gives similar information.

I presume these Post & Go stamps are meant to save you from standing in a queue? Well, then, they did fail here, for the queue at the kiosk was larger than any queue at the normal counters! But I suppose the situation may well be different 'down south'!

smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers