By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Paralympic gold medal thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Lee28/08/2012 09:53:06
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I think we'll have ONE thread for both surveying availability and posting the stamps.

Here's what we know so far:

- miniature sheet for each gold medallist, with a pair of stamps, costing £1.20.

- each A4 sheet will have four gold medallists on it

-there will be four issue dates - Sept 1, Sept 4, Sept 7 and Sept 11 (which is the Tues after the Games finish).

-the stamps will go to the same 518 Post Offices the 'next day' stamps did.

-RM will be offering these stamps at a discount to people who had an Olympic gold medal stamp subscription, so look out for that letter/email if you did

-they are designing an album to house all the Olympic and Paralympic stamps, which they expect to be ready in about four weeks.

Adrian28/08/2012 10:02:27
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Would that mean that they won't be supplied to the 'weekly stamps' post offices at all? Or maybe just later?

Julia Lee28/08/2012 10:05:35
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Well, in my initial story, I wrote that they would then be supplied to the 5,000 (which I must have been told), but there's no reference to that in RM's FAQ on their website.

Adrian28/08/2012 10:35:07
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Well, that would explain why my 'weekly stamp' Gatehouse of Fleet post office didn't know anything about Paralympic gold medal stamps. I'll hopefully be visiting another 'weekly stamp' post office this afternoon so I'll check with them as well.

Adrian29/08/2012 12:03:46
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

The original press release, which can be read on the Paralympics website, does mention a further distributuion to 5000 post offices, so that's where that came from. So we've got to keep an eye out for developments on that part of the campaign.

We believe that all six printers will be involved again in printing the Paralympic Gold Medal stamps.

It'll be interesting to see how the A4 sheets will pan out. The A4 Olympic Gold Medal sheets consisted of four identical miniature sheets with only the extreme left margins including different information. If the Paralympic sheets will contain only two stamps, they might well be half the size of the Olympic miniature sheets, which would make it possible to have eight miniature sheets on a single A4 printing sheet.

And then, as stated above, there will be four medallists on each A4 sheet, so that makes two miniature sheets per medallist, which will probably be placed side by side. Just wondering whether the extra information on the extreme left will also be placed somewhere on the extreme right for the miniature sheets on that side. And whether it will be possible to buy se-tenant miniature sheets. Now there's something new to look out for!

And it will be interesting to see what Royal Mail will do if there are for example 41 winners! Have a whole sheet dedicated to that one surplus medallist?

Mmhh, can't wait to see one! But seeing that the first stamps won't be issued until 1 September, we'll just have to wait a little longer.

Adrian29/08/2012 15:15:16
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

And here it is: the image of the generic Paralympic Gold Medal miniature sheet:

I must say it looks quite smart, I prefer this prominent lion logo very much and I like the smaller size, it makes for an altogether more handsome item, I think.

Adrian31/08/2012 13:23:34
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

And here we have the first of the two gold winners so far: Sarah Storey winning gold in the women's C5 pursuit.

We hope to bring you a picture of the second gold winner, Jonathan Fox, who won a gold medal in the men's 100 metre backstroke, very soon.

The issue date of these two stamps, plus maybe some more?, should be 1 September.

Adrian31/08/2012 17:15:13
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Well, having just read Norvic Philatelics blog, it seems that it's all change! Apparently, Sarah Storey's stamp has already been issued! Has anyone got a copy yet? It also seems that this particular stamp was printed on its own, so in A4 sheets of 8 miniature sheets with just her stamp on.

Again apparently, other medallists may have to share the A4 sheets with others. The original issue schedule also seems to have been abandoned, in favour of issuing stamps the next day. How that will pan out with regard to four medallists on an A4 sheet, I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

All in all we're dealing with a constantly changing situation here, so any input from you all, with regard to availability of these sheets, will be highly aprpeciated, in order to try and make sense of it all !

Adrian31/08/2012 17:25:17
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Having just posted the above information, I now see on the Royal Mail website that the Jonathan Fox stamp will indeed be issued on 1 September. But that could be either a resurrection of the original schedule or a next day issue date. Here is the picture of both stamp and miniature sheet:

No news yet about whether he will get his own A4 sheet or whether it will have to be shared.

We do have a third gold medal stamp coming up though: Mark Colbourne won gold in the men's individual C1 3km pursuit.

Graham Knight01/09/2012 16:19:06
33 forum posts
12 photos

Against my better judgement I went along to Birmingham Head Post Office in Victoria Square this morning to buy the first 2 paralympic medal winners stamps. It was only just before setting out that I'd read on the Norvic Stamps site that one of them was actually released yesterday contrary to the previous announcements, so if I had been wanting to send first day covers, I would have fallen at the first hurdle. Why did those in charge of this paralympic stamp programme change their mind again? Actually I expected to buy 4 stamps since there had been 4 gold medals won by yesterday evening but I was told that only the first 2 stamps had been delivered and that the next issue would be Monday (so, not the 4 September as had previously been announced). The charming young lady counter assistant was very helpful and had her miniature sheets mostly all separated for sale. Unlike the closing days of the issue of the olympic medallist stamps when lots of people wanted to buy them, there did not appear to be anyone else buying the paralympic stamps (it was about 10.30 AM). I bought the bottom left hand miniature sheet from the sheet of 8 and so obtained the printer's imprint (Solihull of course) with the stamp number - PGMWA & PGMWB. For some reason, I didn't have the heart to ask if the counter assistants were allowed to cut out individual stamps as with the olympic issue given what a long-winded process it had proved to be and the fact that this time we only have 2 stamps per sheet to buy instead of 6. I may make another sally forth to the post office at the beginning of next week but will happily not be able to do so later in the week as I shall be out of the country - what a relief!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers