By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Graham Knight25/08/2012 16:31:07
33 forum posts
12 photos

Currently visiting Sheffield again and have obtained a further 11 Preston printings and all have the same, darker appearances in comparison with the Solihull printings. The face of Charlotte Dujardin (GMW23) is markedly darker in the Preston printing and there is a discernible difference between the 2 versions of the Ed McKeever issue (GMW 26) but I do not think the difference is any greater than in the earlier stamps. Will try to post some scans over the next couple of days when I return to Birmingham so that you can form your own opinions.

Graham Knight27/08/2012 11:35:06
33 forum posts
12 photos

Here, as promised, are some scans comparing Preston (upper stamps as before) and Solihull-printed stamps. The shade differences (paler appearance in Solihull stamps) seem apparent throughout as before.

sc0003cff0.jpgsc00034522.jpg

sc000365c3.jpg

sc00039bc501.jpg

Adrian29/08/2012 15:08:34
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Thanks very much for showing these, Graham!

We are now also able to show you the full Jade Jones sheet with the variety of major printing parts having shifted.

A close-up might give a better idea of this spectacular variety.

Apparently, these were sold by a post office at Flint before receiving a phone call from Royal Mail within minutes, telling them to stop selling and return all faulty sheets. The postmaster is quoted as having had 'several' in his possession which had to be returned. As mentioned before, this sheet was put up on ebay and sold for a nice sum.

Julia Lee01/10/2012 09:15:38
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I thought you'd all enjoy seeing this Greg Rutherford signed cover from my friend Helen, who's from the same town as Greg. Not least because Greg signs things with a little long jumper at the end!

greg.jpg

Julia Lee06/09/2013 12:45:29
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Lovely quotes from Helen Glover in answer to 'Did you buy a stamp with your face on it?'

'I received so many cards with my face on it that it got embarrassing! It was surreal. I still receive letters with my face on. I didn't buy any but my family have loads.

My dad went down to his local post office in Cornwall when the stamp first came out. He said there were queues stretching outside and someone came out and said, 'is there anyone here not for the stamps?' and nobody put their hand up. I think they sold out the day after. But I was too embarrassed to buy one myself.'

From the BBC's Sportsday Live on September 6.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers