By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Graham Knight13/08/2012 17:42:19
33 forum posts
12 photos

Thanks.

Julia Lee15/08/2012 16:30:30
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

A useful nugget from Ian Billings' site: the printer in Preston had trouble with its plates and could not print the last three stamps (last one was Ed McKeever), so they were printed by Solihull.

**LINK**

Graham Knight18/08/2012 17:50:20
33 forum posts
12 photos

Visiting Sheffield today so I went to the main post office to buy a few Preston-printed stamps (the ones I bought in Birmingham were of course all Solihull-printed). Waited in a long queue of people who were there for normal things (not stamp collecting) and eventually got served and despite the queue the counter assistant was very helpful and made no complaint about cutting some individual stamps out for me. They have quite a number still in stock but, just like my experience in Birmingham, the Bradley Wiggins stamp has sold out. Then I went to photograph the post box which had been painted gold in honour of Jessica Ennis (apparently it had been vandalised a few days ago and had to be repainted) but there was a sizeable crowd around it and it looked as though some local entrepreneur had come up with the idea of charging people to take their photos standing by it holding what looked like one of the Olympic torches and in the company of a couple of people dressed in costumes including someone dressed as a clown. I decided to go back another time when it was quiet. Have decided to order the numerous Paralympic stamps on Royal Mail's website rather than go through it all again.

Adrian18/08/2012 18:50:14
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Oh no, Graham, we were so looking forward to your regular post office outings during the upcoming Paralympics! But you've done a great job and have vividly painted a picture of what it was like to hunt down all the Gold Medal stamps!

Funny that you found Wiggins always sold out, whereas on my 'weekly stamp' outing, it was the only one I could get! Maybe they ended all up north of the border! Or maybe that particular stamp just wasn't as popular over here.

But anyway, thanks once again for the great job you've done. Much appreciated!

Graham Knight19/08/2012 18:52:10
33 forum posts
12 photos

As a follow up to my recent message, now that I've returned to Birmingham I have had an opportunity to compare the Preston printed 4 stamps I bought in Sheffield with my set printed in Solihull. The stamps I bought in Sheffield were Jessica Ennis, Nicola Adams, Chris Hoy and Greg Rutherford. There is a rather slight but discernible difference between the 2 printings: all 4 of my Preston-printed stamps have a slightly richer colouring than the Solihull stamps which look slightly anaemic in comparison. The results are that Jessica Ennis seems to have rosier cheeks on the stamps from Preston, Chris Hoy definitely looks paler on the Solihull stamp, Rutherford has redder legs and face on the Preston stamp and Nicola Adams is also rather paler on the Solihull stamp. The Sheffield counter assistant chose a selection of stamps for me but they all show the same trait in comparison with those from Birmingham so I'm guessing that the differences are probably consistent for all the other stamps as well.

Adrian19/08/2012 19:07:43
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Hi Graham,

that's interesting. We've already seen on Norvic Philatelics' blog that there are marked shades to distinguish when comparing Edinburgh and London sheets.

If you have a scanner, do you think you could upload some images? Would be great!

Nathan Sinclair20/08/2012 14:00:46
77 forum posts
11 photos

Hi,

Just thought I would add my experience from today. Went to my very small post office (Worthington Country Store) in a country store to buy my stamps to post orders from my Amazon store as I do each day. I asked for 9 first class stamps and to my surprise was given a variety of gold medal winners stamps in single stamps. I think my customers will be surprised when they see them!

This store was not on the next day list!

Edited By Nathan Sinclair on 20/08/2012 14:01:16

Adrian20/08/2012 15:44:53
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

You do realise you may just have created a mega run on that country store!

That's very good service. It's like in the old days (don't worry, I don't remember them either) when special stamps were readily available and given out for postage. Goes to show that it's not how many stamps you issue, it's how many you give out to the public. Great stuff!

Nathan Sinclair20/08/2012 15:51:35
77 forum posts
11 photos

I noticed they started giving special stamps out as normal stamps a couple of weeks ago, my skill in reading upside down writing when something is upside down in front of me enabled me to read a label on the front of the book that they keep the stamps in telling the staff to always use the special stamps before booklets and normal machin's. This must be why they are giving out the gold medal stamps for normal postage too.

Graham Knight20/08/2012 16:07:32
33 forum posts
12 photos

As requested, scans of Preston-printed stamps bought in Sheffield (upper stamps) compared with Birmingham-bought Solihull-printed stamps (lower specimens). I think the scans show the deeper colours of the Preston stamps reasonably well although in the Laura Trott stamp it is most obvious in the red background and not really clear in Laura's skin tone unlike the other designs.

sc0000d267.jpgsc0000946a.jpgsc00007327.jpg

sc00004e38.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers