By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Julia Lee10/08/2012 12:30:44
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Excellent. Thank you so much Graham.

Can you estimate how many people were buying them?

Graham Knight10/08/2012 12:58:17
33 forum posts
12 photos

Thanks. There were 8 or 9 when I visited this morning, usually up to now there have been 3 or 4 in the queue. Judging by the conversation, only one other person, apart from myself regularly collected stamps. A number seemed to be older people buying souvenirs for younger members of their family.

Nathan Sinclair10/08/2012 21:46:34
77 forum posts
11 photos

Hi All,

New member here . Just like to give my viewpoint, slightly dissapointed with the speed of despatch from Tallent House Royal Mail at the moment. Have ordered every gold medal FDC on a daily basis as each medal is won and so far have only recieved the first four out of the 25! None the less I like the stamps and FDC's although it is expensive to collect at the moment .

For anyone who is interested I collect all First Day Covers and Presentation Packs from all countries that use pound sterling as a currency!

Nathan

Adrian11/08/2012 12:20:25
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

I suppose Royal Mail is really focusing on the next day delivery bit of their massive campaign, which means that weekly stamp post offices and Tallent House customers will have to wait a bit longer! Can't remember now whether RM had given a deadline with regard to Tallent House orders.

But anyway, like I said in your introductory post, we'd love to see a pic of it, so if you have a scanner, why not post a pic in the GB Gold Medal Winner stamps thread?!

Graham Knight12/08/2012 13:05:46
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 11 Being a Sunday, the Birmingham Victoria Square post office opened at 10am and I counted 10 customers entered in the first minute and ALL of them appeared to be there to buy the gold medallist stamps. I think there were 3 or 4 counters open and all of them were ready to deal with prospective new stamp buyers. One man wanted to buy some of the older gold medallist stamps and I heard the assistant ask him if he would not mind waiting and the manager would come out to sort out the items he wanted. I was served within a minute or two, really the post office has run a remarkably efficient, polite and helpful service all the way through. On other hand they have extracted more than a £100 from me over the last couple of weeks, so I reckon we deserved a pretty good service.

Margaret Emerson12/08/2012 13:29:14
2 forum posts

I have collected each of the miniature sheets the day after the Gold Medal win with no problem. Most of the time this has been at the Maidstone Bank Street Main Post Office, including today, Sunday 12th. On all but two occasions I have been in the Post Office concerned well before midday and had no problem buying the sheets or the FDC envelopes. On the weekend of the 4th and 5th I used the Broadway Post Office in Westminster, SW1 and again had no problem buying my stamps and even a complete A4 sheet. Again all were available by midday.

I only encountered one slight issue. The Maidstone Post Office was busy and I was called to be served at a diferent window to normal. When I asked the clerk if I could have two sheets of each issue and could one of each have the margin 30th Olympiad,.so my full sheets were all the same, she shook her head and said 'No, no we are not able to do anyhting special, we are too busy.' Howeveer as she had to go and get a supply she was handed full A4 sheets to split and gave me the top two in each case which gave me the sheet I wanted.

I have not asked for single stamps as I have bought two sheets for each and split one for FDC's and the like.

Well done Royal Mail I say.

Margaret

Adrian13/08/2012 11:31:23
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Thanks very much, all of you, for your fantastic regular updates. It gave us all a good picture of how efficient this whole Gold Medal Stamp campaign on the whole has been. Much appreciated!

Julia Lee13/08/2012 17:27:50
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Thank you all very much for reporting from across the country.

Look out for some of your words in the October issue!

If you're new to the forum, please do stick around and see what we get up to normally.

Graham Knight13/08/2012 17:40:42
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 12. Arrived about 9.45 am. The manager was at a dedicated counter to sell the GMW items. I was the only person there at the time. Final miniature sheet ready for sale. I said that I thought that he would probably be pleased that the Games were over now and he replied "yes and no" (I think he meant that although they had caused hard work, the stamps represented good business). I told him how impressed I'd been with the service they provided and he said that most customers had seemed pleased though there were a few who apparently must have been less happy. I guess some people's expectations surpass the impossible. As for myself. I'm quite pleased that no more trips to the post office are necessary for a while.

Julia Lee13/08/2012 17:41:35
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Put your feet up Graham, you deserve it!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers