By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Julia Lee05/08/2012 15:52:50
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Recap on printers: London, Attleborough, Preston, Solihull, Swindon. We understand the last printer is Edinburgh.

Someone in the queue this morning had been told in Purley (which is London as far as I'm concerned!) that they were only doing the stamps in the London area. So that misinformation is out there. I told her to get in touch and I'd send her the list!

Julia Lee06/08/2012 13:05:34
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

@ Warwick - I've spoken to Royal Mail Stamps and they say PO Ltd should've phoned Torquay by now and told them how things stand.

It appears the 'weekly' offices, (or 'Ultima Thule' as Jeff Dugdale likes to put it) are printed at Swindon, which would make sense. The PO's distribution offices are at Swindon.

I'd welcome more info if you have it.

Edited By Julia Lee on 07/08/2012 08:10:07

Graham Knight06/08/2012 13:14:44
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 5. Arrived at Birmingham Head Post Office which was very busy about 10.45 and while I was waitlng a special counter was opened up just for the sale of Gold medal stamps. I could see that on the different counters there were very large numbers of sheets of the miniature sheets available to be sold. More interest in the stamps than last week with 2 people in the queue saying that at first they were not going to bother but now they thought buying the stamps was a good idea and they both bought the entire set of miniature sheets issued so far.

Richard Burningham06/08/2012 22:45:54
3 forum posts

Popped into Plymouth's main post office at 09 15 this morning - they already had the Andy Murray and Ben Ainsley stamps. Very impressed..

I had the last two Jessica Ennis mini-sheets for the moment.

Graham Knight07/08/2012 13:56:18
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 6. Birmingham Victoria Square post office has established a counter devoted entirely to selling gold medallist stamps in a quiet corner of the post office with a very pleasant and helpful counter assistant who seems entirely interested in her work and can deal with the collectors' requests with them in comfort as the post office has placed a seat by the counter for the customer to sit on. It's a bit like going to a stamp fair. The people in the queue are conversing with each other. Nearly everyone buying the stamps seem to be older people who are buying selected athletes or complete sets for their grandchildren, today there did not seem to be a regular stamp collector in the queue when I was there. The buyers are there to buy interesting souvenirs rather than looking at their purchases as an "investment", which given the large numbers of the miniature sheets being sold is probably just as well. The Bradley Wiggins stamp seems to be one of the most popular and has sold out again. Birmingham Head post office has really risen to the occasion. Now if only they would re-establish a philatelic counter full-time having got rid of the old service quite a long time ago.

Julia Lee07/08/2012 13:57:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

That's a really good insight, Graham, thank you. I'm really appreciating these daily updates.

And well done Birmingham Victoria Square! Chairs, even!

Adrian07/08/2012 14:12:16
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Tried my local 'weekly stamps' post offices this morning (proper next day stamps are 2 1/2 hrs drive away so won't bother with those!). Generally speaking it was a case of going out for some Scolympians (as Mr Salmond used to call them) and coming home with Bradley Wiggins.

Dalbeattie Post Office, 9.05am. They had four or five Bradley Wiggins miniature sheets in. Bought one, with the Swindon printers' imprint (confirming previous statement that all weekly stamps are probably printed in Swindon). I was told they should get more in after ten that day.

Went on to Dumfries Whitesands Post Office, noon: nothing at all. They only received a very few sheets and these had sold the same day. Were hopeful of getting a few more tomorrow or Thursday, but were again expecting very low numbers which would sell soon.

Revisited Dalbeattie PO at around 1.30pm. Nothing had come in that morning and no-one knew when the next lot could be expected. The remaining Wiggins sheets had by now all sold. They had only been sent two full Bradley sheets.

Conclusion: they're popular enough but demand far outstretches supply at the moment. So there's room for improvement!

But at least I've got one, though I would have liked an Andy Murray or a Chris Hoy.

Graham Knight08/08/2012 14:22:21
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 7. The gold medal stamp sales were from an ordinary counter at Birmingham Head Post Office today although it was dedicated to only selling the stamps and coins (they have been pushing the coins every day but so far I haven't seen anyone buy any). No chair to sit on today. Efficient and friendly and helpful service as before. The counter assistant corrected me when I talked about "the Post Office" making good profits from the stamps - she pointed out that I meant "Royal Mail". We know the stamps were finalised at Solihull but have Royal Mail actually announced who the printers are? I tried to work out who the printers must be from the internet but there appear to be several printers in Solihull and I didn't think I could accurately identify the printers' from the information available.

Julia Lee08/08/2012 14:25:01
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

No, they said at the press conference they would not release the printers' names until after the Games, for security reasons. But at that point they will.

Graham Knight10/08/2012 12:29:07
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 9. It seems that more people than ever were wanting to buy GMW stamps today. Queue seriously held up by the assistant having to cut out a complete (or near complete - GMW 1 & 2 both sold out) set of singles for a lady - I suspect Royal Mail will learn that having to separate stamps with scissors is time-consuming and laborious (that's why they invented perforations, don't you know!). But when it was realised that the queue was growing, 2 additional counter assistants were recruited to come and help and things rapidly got moving. Full marks to Birmingham Head Post Office, a few supermarkets and stores could learn a lesson from them. We had a special dedicated counter again today with a chair to sit on while we were being served so the excellent service continued. It must be costing a lot for Royal Mail to do all this but the sales are clearly enormous here in Birmingham so I'm guessing their profits will be too.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers