By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Jeff Dugdale03/08/2012 17:00:40
9 forum posts
45 articles

Hi Jeff, Think this sits better in our survey thread, so I've moved it. JL

I managed to get a Glover/Stanning sheet in a sub-post office in Elgin this afternoon. Speaking to local post office clerks, I gather that in this neck of the woods, at least, several small post offices got 12 sheets of Wiggo and of Glover/Stanning and were told "Don't ask for any more under any circumstances". Buckie, New Elgin and Bishopmill in Elgin got this allocation but the main p.o. in Elgin got zero !! The next dispatch will come on Thursday of next week p.m. when all of the intervening sheets will come again in dozens. That will be an expensive day.

I was sold a blank cover and told that it didn't matter when you bought the stamp or cover, if it went in the Handstamp bag to go to Tallents House it would be cancelled on the day of issue.

They were so short that I had to peel one stamp off my sheet of six for the cover.

I do like the stamps however and am amazed at the logistics successfully managed so far. Well done R.M. for getting this far. I wil try to buy Wiggo on line but am not hopeful. Will be in Edinburgh for the Fringe next Friday to Monday and hope to get some more there mor easily and make my own covers.

Edited By Julia Lee on 04/08/2012 07:19:59

Warwick Bassett03/08/2012 17:11:39
1 forum posts

New bug here Torquay-could not be bought from ordinary postal counter,had to go to bureau de change...what a palaver!Would not separate them-'Royal Mail instructions are that they are not to be split up',then I had to specify which set I wanted-I was not particularly fussed,but I had to choose a set and sign to say this was the set I had chosen.I did get the free envelope which they put them in-as some were going straight onto envelopes,I told them not to bother putting them into it,but was that it had to be in the envelope and sealed as they were 'not valid for postage until after the end of the Games'...Fortunately the sticking ability of the gum was minimum and I salvaged them and onto the birthday cards they went and managed to keep the envelope...

Julia Lee03/08/2012 17:36:45
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Don't worry Warwick we won't shove your head in the loo or anything.

As for Torquay - wow. Never heard anything like it - anyone else had to sign for a set?

And the thing about postal validity is utter nonsense!

*makes lame joke about spirit of Basil Fawlty*

Julia Lee04/08/2012 07:21:14
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I did suggest on Twitter that Post Office Ltd have a word and cc'd Royal Mail Stamps, so hopefully something will be done!

Adrian04/08/2012 10:26:00
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Kirkcudbright Post Office does not have any Gold Medal stamps, stating 'only the areas in and around London do them'. To be fair to them, they're not on the list of post offices supplying GM stamps or GM weekly stamps.

Edited By Adrian on 04/08/2012 10:57:38

Julia Lee04/08/2012 10:45:52
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Given that Buckie, a town of 8,000 in the north of Scotland got them (per Jeff's post in Gold medal survey), we know the 'round London' thing isn't true. I know Royal Mail has really worked on this and its PR campaign has been amazing, but have they managed to trickle it down to Post Offices? (Separate company, don't forget).

Edited By Adrian on 04/08/2012 10:58:14

Graham Knight04/08/2012 12:51:46
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 3. All was well today at Birmingham Victoria Square Post Office. Several people were waiting to buy the GMW stamps and when I arrived at 10 AM, the counter clerks had the miniature sheets all separated and had been selling singles as well as miniature sheets. They told me that they would open between 10AM and 1PM tomorrow. P.S. Miniature sheets were placed in another of the special envelopes for me.

Edited By Graham Knight on 04/08/2012 12:53:06

Graham Knight05/08/2012 12:16:34
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 4. Birmingham Victoria Square Post Office very quiet at 10.15am this Sunday morning. My ticket showed that I was the 10th customer so far this morning. The counter clerk had miniature sheets separated from each other and ready for sale. I was able to get a complete set of single stamps of those issued so far, the counter clerk painstakingly and neatly cutting them from the sheets: luckily no-one else was waiting to be served. He did not seem particularly delighted at being asked to do this but I think he was more interested in paying attention to what was going on at the next counter where a customer was in an increasingly irritated state over the renewal of his driving license and the time it might take for his new license to get to him and the fact that the counter assistant had just cut up his old license. Clearly the stocks of stamps which had sold out such as the Bradley Wiggins stamp, which was sold out on the first day, had been replenished. As you would expect, all the stamps have "Solihull" as the printer. Given that the printers must have been extremely busy overnight printing 6 new designs, everything here seems to be going like clockwork.

Richard Burningham05/08/2012 15:48:28
3 forum posts

Two of the sheets I bought in Plymouth on Friday had printer - Swindon.

The Exeter main office on Thursday said (very nicely) the stamps were only available in the complete minature sheets so I didn't ask Plymouth on Friday. Not too worried.

Julia Lee05/08/2012 15:50:26
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Brilliant, thanks, both of you.

A queue of five and I watched the stamps being delivered at 9.34am at Croydon. As well as the normal philatelic member of staff, another member of staff and the manager all served customers, whether they wanted the stamps or not. I'd estimate ten people had bought them by the time I left.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers