By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

Post offices which will stock the instant Olympic stamps

The 518 post offices which will stock the gold-medal winners' stamps the next day.

Julia Lee03/08/2012 07:01:59
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Haywards Heath = printed in London.

Graham Knight03/08/2012 14:15:07
33 forum posts
12 photos

Day 2:- Back at Birmingham Head Post Office, GMW03-5 must have been on sale well before midday which is when I arrived as the counter assistant who served me had clearly sold some - the sheets were already separated and he had sold individual stamps having plied his scissors. He sold me single stamps as well as a miniature sheet of each and a single from yesterday's GMW01 but had sold out of the Bradley Wiggins stamp (GMW02). Cutting out the individual stamps was laborious and time-consuming and imperfect (when I got home I found that one of the individual stamps had been cut through the Queen's head and value). I guess no British post office counter assistant has had to use scissors on stamps since 1854-57 when the Queen Victoria embossed issue was sold. Finally, at the end of this marathon of trekking daily to a distant post office, will stamp collectors be awarded their own gold medals?

Edited By Graham Knight on 03/08/2012 14:24:14

Julia Lee03/08/2012 14:17:05
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Absolutely stunning work, Graham!

You're definitely a gold medallist to us!

Graham Knight03/08/2012 14:43:16
33 forum posts
12 photos

O thanks. I forgot to mention that today the counter assistant placed my purchases in a colourful purpose-made Royal Mail envelope which advertises the "Team GB Stamp Collection" on the front and advertises other Olympics collectables on the reverse. The message on the front opens with "Your Team GB Gold Medal Winners Miniature Sheet. Congratulations on picking up Gold! Sheets like this are being produced to honour every Team GB gold medal winner at the London 2012 Olympic games - and there's also this superb Team GB Stamp Collection to keep them safe. So make sure you don't miss a medal, pop into your branch regularly and ask if they can keep one for you or buy and subscribe online at.......". Collectors of postal stationery may want to obtain an example of this Royal Mail envelope, it's not often they give you something for free.

Edited By Graham Knight on 03/08/2012 14:44:15

Julia Lee03/08/2012 14:45:02
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Pfft! Croydon didn't give me one of those, and I bought £43-worth of stuff!

Good spot though. Can you do us a pic? Do you have a scanner?

Graham Knight03/08/2012 15:43:18
33 forum posts
12 photos

Hello, further to your message I've scanned the envelope but can't for the life of me work out how to post it on this site. Can you advise? Many thanks.

Julia Lee03/08/2012 15:55:47
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Hi, Easiest way is to upload it to an album, here: **LINK**

Then click then do another post, click the little camera icon above the writing box and you'll get to choose it.

Avoid strange characters and images that are too big!

J

Adrian03/08/2012 16:00:58
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Hi Graham,

If you happen to have a Photobucket account then put your image up there, click on 'Direct link' and then come back to this forum, type your post, click on the multicoloured square icon and copy the link in the URL box by typing Ctrl V. Then you click on OK and the pic should appear.

If you do not have such an account, the easiest way (I think) is to make an album on this website. See 'Albums' tab at the top, next to the Forum tabs. Once you put your pic in there, you can copy the website link to that pic and proceed as above by coming back to your post and clicking on the multicolorued square icon.

We have a special thread here where you can try posting pictures. Good luck!

Graham Knight03/08/2012 16:28:54
33 forum posts
12 photos

Thanks for your help - I have managed to add the reverse and obverse photographs of the envelope in which the counter assistant placed my "gold medal" stamps. I hope these are satisfactory.

Tsc0002cafc.jpgsc0002bb78.jpg

Adrian03/08/2012 16:31:20
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

More than that, they're perfect! Thanks for showing them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers