By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

2012 programme

What do you think of the GB 2012 programme?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Julia Lee06/06/2011 16:08:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

What do you think?

Interested by Diamond Jubilee and (especially) Olympic definitives.

Other than that, the stand-out issues for me are Britons of Distinction (because it's intriguing) and Charles Dickens (because it's actually an anniversary).

Alex06/06/2011 19:16:05
583 forum posts
13 photos

Well, the usual output by the sound of things. Some sets certainly sound interesting enough, the World of Dinosaurs and the A-Z of Britain, also the Space Science set. The Britons of Distinction should keep Ozzieal happy, if no one else!!! Maybe Charles Dickens, though not one of my favorite British writers.

The rest, frankly, do not excite me much. The usual royalty stuff, though I grant that it is their Diamond Jubilee next year so I may be a tad harsh here. Roald Dahl? The only redeeming thing about him is that Johnny Depp acted in one of his stories! Don't get me started on the Olympic issues, but again, I shouldn't be harsh as they're being held in Londonistan, so relavent I guess. House of Windsor? C'mon guys, give me a break from that tosh. Who buys these sets? I have lived here for over twenty years and I don't know, nor care, about who reigned before Betty II. These sets are just so darn boring and staid. If Royal Mail must put royalty on its stamps why don't they take a look at your European neighbours (esp the Dutch and Danes) to see how it should be done.

Trains of Scotland, should be popular, and the Comic set may also prove popular (not too sure about UK comics; Beano, Dandy, The Eagle and Judge Dredd - did you guys do any others?). Fashion, again popular perhaps with some.

Edited By Alex on 06/06/2011 19:19:11

Windu15/06/2011 05:01:11
7 forum posts

There is no Titanic Centenary Issue

I miss the elegant 80's and 90's Royal mail stamps

Julia Lee15/06/2011 14:33:47
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Whether Dickens is a favourite or not (used to hate him, have got back into it), he's definitely a giant of British writing. On that basis and that it's a big anniversary, I'm good with that issue.

I have doubts about Dahl - I think in terms of impact (ie pretty much everyone here grew up reading him) he passes the test at least as well as Thomas the Tank Engine. But it's a shoddy anniversary - 50 years of James and the Giant Peach.

I'm inclined to agree (less strongly) about the House of Windsor - the series itself is a bunch of heads tied to some interesting images on a minisheet. I think the dark grey and the generally dark paintings don't help.

It would be - sorry - unthinkable not to mark the Jubilee or the Olympics.

Trains I personally can't get enthusiastic about, but yes, railway issues are massively popular. Wouldn't mind seeing the Comics issue, though the chances are cover producers will find that a copyright nightmare. And fashion, if they do it right, will look good, and highlight that for years we led the world in that area. Expect some Sixties nostalgia!

Alex23/06/2011 09:13:53
583 forum posts
13 photos

Interesting about the Sixties nostalgia.

I guess it is because those in management in RM are probably in their late middle age, and hence a product of the sixties themselves, but haven't we been here before? There has been quite a lot of 60s nostalgia in recent years: Mini cars, Beatles covers, fashion, Thunderbirds, etc.

I guess the 1960s are perhaps seen as more politically correct, so the reason for the recent output. Maybe the 18th & 19th centuries are more of a 'problem' for RM? Why are there no large scale stamp issues for these centuries, after all the UK played a major part in the Enlightenment and the Victorian years. Compared to, say, Germany or the USA, this country doesn't seem to commemorate these years of advancement, exploration, social & health improvements, colonization, political changes etc, etc.....

Jack30/08/2011 09:48:47
124 forum posts

Disagree about the politically correct idea.

I would argue the 1960s stuff is far more simple; spot the 1960s people now entering retirement so with spare money. Retirement hobby time. The 18th and 19th century commemoratives have been done a million times before.

Alex10/09/2011 14:40:59
583 forum posts
13 photos

I have to say, on seeing the A - Z of Britain stamps, that I am truely impressed. These look set to be a future 'classic'. The fact that they're all 1st class should mean that we'll see them used postally too. Sure, they're all photographs, but they are colorful and a good advertisement for the UK. The Angel of the North stamp looks especially great and I can honestly say that I don't dislike any of the stamps shown. Well done, Royal Mail!

Jack19/09/2011 21:28:22
124 forum posts

I look forward to the Gold Medal Winners being on stamps. Real people, not royalty..

Now, I'd prefer the live people on stamps to have done something worthwhile, say Nobel prize winners but at least Gold Medal winners will be a start. I'd even take valid dead people, say PMs up till 1919, No more dead monarchs please for at least a decade!!

John McCallum16/10/2011 12:43:18
409 forum posts
583 photos

Don't forget that RM also plan to issue at least 2 more sets of Wincor-Nixdorf faststamps in 2012 supposedly on the theme of farm animals(?!@!?). Then add to that another variety or two at the two Stampex shows which depend on the ATM system used - Wincor or Hytec.

Wouldn't surprise me if RM will equip an Olympic site post office with Wincors and issue special Olympic faststamps with an Olympic theme.

Note to RM: - if you do take up the Olympic idea,I'd like a cut of the profits as a commission!!!

Julia Lee17/10/2011 09:31:17
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I reckon we're getting 4 sets of farm animals.

And I think you're absolutely right about the Olympic faststamps, but good luck getting your commission!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers