By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Post here first! (Sandbox)

A place for you to have a go at posting and uploading images

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray MAYHEW24/05/2021 15:51:44
4 forum posts

Paul

Thank you very much for your useful and quick reply. I think I will start off by looking at what I have already and seeing how far I can get. My local stamp shop in Norwich seem to have a good selection of stamps for sale as well. I do like the QV and KEVII Jubilee stamps that this shop had a good selection.

SG reference books do turn up regularly at auctions mixed in with other books and I already have several of these that are brilliant. I also seem to have a Stoneham guide that is very good, I have no idea how I got this!!!.

I also like the look of the Official QV and KEVII stamps as well although my local stamp shop said there are a fair number of forgeries of these. Best way he said was to make the sure the cancel mark was over the top of the official stamp and not the other way round.

Any I will be tuning into this site regularly and probably asking more starter questions!!.

Thank You

Ray

Paul Davey 126/05/2021 20:49:57
514 forum posts
26 photos

I know the shop - my daughter lives in Norwich! He is right about the GB officials. The cheap ones are OK but if you want to progress it becomes prone to forgery and difficult to get a certificate. The Jubilees are nice and if you search the web you will find a talk by Phil Waud on his collection of the issue to show what can be achieved!

Feel free to ask questions - Enjoy!

Edited By Paul Davey 1 on 26/05/2021 20:50:18

clivel27/05/2021 07:09:08
19 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Ray MAYHEW on 24/05/2021 12:40:53:

My main question is about mounting them. I thought about buying coloured A4 card and printing on the card using a GB pre-printed templates that you can easily be bought online. I thought about a different coloured card for different GB monarchs. Then mounting the stamps in the standard black sleeves that can easily be bought online.

Ray,

As an alternative to buying album templates, If you are fairly computer literate you could use the free AlbumEasy program to create your own custom pages. Or, if you prefer you can download dozens of ready to print Free albums created by AlbumEasy users.

Clive

Ray MAYHEW04/06/2021 15:02:20
4 forum posts

Hi

Things have moved on a bit since my last first postings. I was in Fakenham last week and just happen to walk past a stationary shop, I was after coloured acid free card but could not find any. But I did find some Paper-Klip A4 thin white card that mentioned it was Acid and Lignin free. The cards was also 160gsm. I has tried some thicker card at 200gsm from QD, but it kept jaming my laser printer. It was prices at 3.25 for 30 sheets which seemed quite reasonable. Anyway got it home and am now able to print my own pages from some stamp template downloads.

With this arrangement I can add my stamps and then place the card in a thin plastic sleeve. This way the card does not need to be punch holed as the plastic sleeves already have the holes. I can also separate out MNH stamp from used / hinged and the monarchs using easily available coloured A4 cards.

My next strategy is to get as far as I can filling up the pages with stamps from albums I have without buying much else other than card and mounts. I am assuming that the description that is on the album pages the stamps are coming from is correct. Once this is done I will then run through the pages double checking things like plate numbers and phosphor bands etc and correcting if necessary. Looks like I have about a third of the used penny red plates, although I suspect there will always be one glaring plate number missing!!!. I do have one penny black that I would love to work out the plate number etc. This can wait for the time being.

Once this is done well start looking at the gaps and being realistic as to what I can get at reasonable prices. I love the mentality of buying stamps. I was chewing over weather to spend 10.00 on a very nice MNH QV Jubilee stamp and decided not to. But do not think twice about buying an extra round of drinks at the local pub. Bet this is a common issue about priorities of stamp collecting?

That's it

Regards

Ray

Paul Davey 105/06/2021 07:20:10
514 forum posts
26 photos

If you want to plate a 1d black look at http://www.stampsoftheworld.co.uk/wiki/Category:Line_Engraved and go to the page GB 1d Black Plates by Lettering. Compare images of the equivalent lettering to your stamp. Pay particular attention to exactly where the letters sit in the squares, the bottom right of the O of One and the rays of the stars at the top. If you still have a problem or are unsure, post a scan at 800dpi and we'll take a look.

Ray MAYHEW06/06/2021 20:02:32
4 forum posts

Hello

Thank you for this. I will have a good look when I start reviewing what I have

Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE