Post here first! (Sandbox)

A place for you to have a go at posting and uploading images

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Lee25/03/2011 10:34:46
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

This is simply a thread for you to try posting for the first time.

Try anything (within forum rules!)

Once you've mastered it, please go over to our 'What do you collect?' thread and tell us about your collection.

Jack25/03/2011 21:12:32
124 forum posts

Excellent idea. )

Trying to place an image but it's not easy. Without a simple image placement these forums will be limited and become merely arguments, images are needed so it becomes a discussion of actual technical points.

I am gettting browser security issues trying to use your image placement methods; and I only have it on limited, Do you really expect me to to lessen security to place an image on and then raise it after I leave?

The below should work as I am hosting it elsewhere;

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/Alexander55essex/NZ001.jpg

[IMG]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/Alexander55essex/NZ001.jpg[/IMG]

Rare NZ rate cover.

So, you need to provide a simple way for images to work, at the very least for those of us computer literate you should be able to allow us to link to sites such as photobucket so items can be easily placed here. In fact, why not encourage users to use photobucket as the defacto site for hosting?

Sorry, just trying to make these forums work!

Jack25/03/2011 21:59:57
124 forum posts

Okay, I can see how to creat an album but does it not make sense to have a way for an image to be part of a discussion. Why? My question could easily be technical. Help me identify this cds for example. Or I just want to show this great stamp / cover I bought at my local show and get responses. To have to go to an album destroys the immediacy...

Otherwise forums are for arguments / discussions, not for 'help'. That could become tedious.

If there was anyway to drag and drop an image straight to the forum...

Jack26/03/2011 21:49:32
124 forum posts

Should this not go into the thread after 'Read me First'?

Sorry. to be boring...

Julia Lee28/03/2011 10:14:58
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Hi Ozzieal,

I'm looking into your image requests with the website guy.

Julia

Julia Lee28/03/2011 11:38:19
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Ozzieal (may I call you Al?),

You should be able to click the image icon above (the multicoloured one) and just enter the link.

If you're still having security problems, tell us your browser/OS/Windows or Mac etc, and Mark'll look into it.

Julia Lee31/03/2011 10:38:50
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Hi Al,

Are your image problems sorted now?

kingpinpdi26/07/2011 23:06:57
2 forum posts

Hi. I just signed up as I'm after some advice. I've never before collected stamps but I've inherited a 'collection', which consists of a couple of hundred used stamps loosely arranged in a large tin. I should say that none of the stamps are less than 80-90 years old and a good many of them are well in excess of 120 years old. They come from all over the globe, from countries I've not even heard of. Almost all are still on the torn off sections of the envelopes they were originally attached to. I'm note sure how best to proceed with them; I guess I should begin by arranging them by country and probably by denomination, but I seem to recall there are right ways and wrong ways to handle stamps, as well as to mount or affix them to pages - and what should I do in respect of the envelope fragments; should I attempt to remove them and, if so, how? Any hints, tips and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited By Julia Lee on 27/07/2011 09:22:41

Julia Lee27/07/2011 09:32:06
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Hi,

i) Don't take them off the envelopes.

ii) If they aren't mounted (we say hinged), don't mount them. Fashions have changed, so mounting may affect their value.

iii) Don't get excited: unfortunately it's unlikely that they're worth anything much, but we'll see.

iv) I'm going to suggest you buy some tweezers (they have blunt ends) and a stockbook (which has strips for you to place the stamps in) from our online store. (Not just a plug - these will take care of your handling/sorting needs)

v) You're right that sorting by country is the way to go. By year and then denomination.

vi) Your library will have catalogues, either reference or to take out and you can work out years and prices from there. Look for our British Stamp Market Values, which is more accurate than other catalogues.

vii) IMPORTANT NOTE: Stanley Gibbons catalogue values bear little relation to actual prices. For most stamps, you're looking at 20%-40% of catalogue value. There's also a minimum price (10p), which soon adds up, but you won't get that minimum price for each stamp.

viii) Everyone reading this is hoping you'll be bitten by the bug of sorting them out and so on and take up philately.

ix) Come back with any stamps/countries you can't ID etc, or questions.

Edited By Julia Lee on 27/07/2011 09:39:04

kingpinpdi27/07/2011 23:49:45
2 forum posts

Many thanks for the advice - I'll get stuck in asap (although I don't have that much free time!). Really appreciate you taking the time and getting back so quickly. I'll keep you posted (pardon the pun!)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values