By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Morris & Co

What do you think of the Morris & Co stamps?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

GB: Morris & Company stamps

Royal Mail's May 5 issue will showcase the talents of designer William Morris and his colleagues.

Julia Lee15/03/2011 12:46:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Fussy?

Talking points:

• the PSB contains 2009 2nd Christmas class stamps, which were a window by Morris
  • the PSB will be £9.99, a premium (face value £9.04) for 'additional design, print and production'.
Alex15/03/2011 13:04:00
583 forum posts
13 photos

A winner for me, I have always been a fan of William Morris and the whole British Arts & Crafts movement. Not original in design and, as you say, previously covered. Still nice for RM to promote some British / English cultural aspects in a more traditional form. Will I buy them, not at that price. Why so many stamps when your European neighbors get by with 1 - 4 stamps per issue? I'll keep an eye to seeing them on my mail, but won't hold my breath especially with regards the higher values. However, despite my negative comments, a nice enough set.

Adrian15/03/2011 15:13:25
1828 forum posts
971 photos
4 articles

Wow, a premium on the psb, is that the first time? A good reason to give up on those..... It will be interesting to see whether SG will now stop including these in its catalogues! Somehow I think not...

But I absolutely love the set (apart from the stained glass stamp which looks horribly out of place). Will surely buy some of the 1st class stamps to use on my mail. Wish there were some for Europe as well, or will that go op to £1.10 soon?

Julia Lee15/03/2011 15:23:18
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Adrian, yes I believe it is a premium on a PSB for the first time - for stuff they were doing anyway!

And I agree with you about the stained glass one. I understand why they did it - important part of the company's work, and I think Burne-Jones worked mostly in glass - but it doesn't sit right in a group of 'pattern' stamps.

Rates become 68p for up to 20g, £1.00 for 40g to Europe in April.

Julia Lee15/03/2011 16:46:00
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Btw, I've added the PSB panes to the Album of Morris & Co stamps. So you can see what you're getting for your money. :-D

David Blake 120/03/2011 10:45:52
9 forum posts

These are very attractive, but could someone tell me what sort of mail the 76p and £1.10 stamps are supposed to be for. Are you sure about those rates, Julia?

David Blake 120/03/2011 10:52:51
9 forum posts

Ah, I see. They are for airmail for the rest of the world. Fine, but if you issue them for that purpose, why not for the airmail EU rate? Why no 2nd class? If Royal Mail really wants to encourage people to collect they should try to make it that most people see stamps on their mail. 90% of the mail I receive has no stamps.

The simple fact is that we are issuing more stamps than are necessary for our postal needs. Gibbons should stop listing them.

After more than 40 years collecting British stamps I'm stopping.

Julia Lee21/03/2011 09:10:28
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

You can never be 100% sure that rates on publicity material, especially before a rate change, will be what the stamps are issued at, but yes, the two top values are worldwide airmail. I'm going to upload the rates from April, actually, because I think it will be helpful. (Edited to add: I have done that now and they are here.)

Shame you're stopping. What was the straw that broke the camel's back? (Perhaps it's worth taking this to another thread, so we don't derail Morris & Co).

Edited By Julia Lee on 21/03/2011 09:11:26

Edited By Julia Lee on 21/03/2011 09:19:51

Jack26/03/2011 21:46:22
124 forum posts

Must admit I have a soft spot for William Morris; I love the idea that things of beauty should be able to be used and in a normal household.

PSB? Buy it and use it on covers to people who will return it to you coorrectly opened; they'll be rare modern postal history.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers