By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Thunderbirds stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

FAB: The Genius of Gerry Anderson

The next Royal Mail stamp issue, released January 11

The Making of the Thunderbirds Stamps: Video

See how the Thunderbirds stamps were made, and hear Gerry Anderson's views on them

Julia Lee07/01/2011 11:51:52
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

So what do we think of these then?

British achievement? Aiming for nostalgia in collectors of 'a certain age'?

Personally, as a 32-year-old woman, they don't do anything for me - but then I'm not target market...

Julia Lee11/01/2011 16:15:36
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Reporting in from Croydon PO.

A lady from Croydon postcard club and I were doing covers.

The vertical perfs are hard to tackle - take scissors!

I had no concerns with the gum.

The lenticular is very impressive, the best I've seen on stamps (compared with Ireland's Ryder Cup, Finland's snowsports).

A sci-fi collector joined us, having met Gerry Anderson at the Strand Stamp Shop. He was now buying a first day cover.

Jeff Dugdale11/01/2011 16:33:26
9 forum posts
45 articles

I had dreadful trouble with attaching the souvenir sheets to covers.  I first of all asked the counter clerk in Fochabers, Moray, for  scissors as I just wanted to put the four stamps within the sheet on a cover and I couldn't see how to get to them.  No way of tearing into them.  After I cut round them I could see no way of attaching the stamps to the envelope as whatever gum there was seemed inadequate for their weight and bulk so I had to buy glue in order to be sure that they would attach firmly.  Perhaps I was supposed to peel something off ??

My wife had a look at the mint copy I had at home and also could not peel away anything or see adequate gum so she phoned the Philatelic Bureau whose rep said that they had had dreadful problems affixing the souvenir sheets to the official Royal Mail envelopes all of which "had bevelled".

So whilst I think the visual production of them is wonderful their usefulness as stamps is nix.  As such this is quite scandalous - I've paid over the top for something which cannot be used as stamps, without a suspicion that they will fall off before they get to their destination.  Shame on Royal Mail once again !!

Edited By Jeff Dugdale on 11/01/2011 22:19:49

Julia Lee11/01/2011 16:36:50
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

They're definitely supposed to be gummed - I checked.

I wasn't concerned about the gum myself, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - I've sent two covers to the office. One is the full sheet and one is the four stamps detached.

I did tear them away, but boy was it hard work. I still have a dent in my right fore-finger from the perfs...

Edited By Julia Lee on 11/01/2011 16:39:46

Julia Lee13/01/2011 14:52:47
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

All other reports welcome.

Mia Stampuser22/08/2018 21:18:52
14 forum posts
2 photos

For some reason, I have the 41p 4 in my purse, loose and keeping company 5 x 20p stamps.

Carmen24/08/2018 11:32:38
579 forum posts
58 photos

Well everyone knows that a woman's purse is a Deep Well of Mysteries... I wonder if some poor unsuspecting woman has a Treskilling Yellow in there somewhere... along with a toy car and a single sock and half-used lipstick...

wink

Mia Stampuser29/08/2018 21:50:37
14 forum posts
2 photos

41p.jpg

Carmen30/08/2018 13:22:36
579 forum posts
58 photos

Well I don't carry a purse as a matter of habit, but what goes on in my house is this: my husband will walk in and hand me some random stamp, muttering (with some asperity), "Here I found this under dining room table... the sofa... the TV..." laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers