By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What do you collect?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson19/12/2018 12:06:56
97 forum posts
3 photos

Speaking of people not writing letters anymore, have you noticed that you can buy plenty of envelopes, but not writing paper? At least, that's how it is in this town.

I don't so much collect certain stamps as find stamps from certain countries coming into my possession, with the majority being from Japan, the USA and Italy. I'm thinking I should have put stamp albums with blank pages on my Christmas wish list and used those for those countries. At the moment I'm using an old album of my son's for the overflows. It's one of those ring binders where you can add extra blank pages.

Gillian

charlie warner17/01/2019 11:16:36
1 forum posts

nice

Alistair Bruce 119/08/2019 12:59:57
4 forum posts

Hi,

I'm an almost absolute beginner, there being a fifty-eight year gap between the ten year old me pouring over his Errimar Globe Trotter album and me now wanting to restart and not really knowing how to go about it. One piece of advice I've had from relative is to choose a theme related to an interest, so I'm considering the Swinging 60's and all that entailed but am unsure where to start to look or if this is a sensible choice. Any advice would be very welcome.

Alex19/08/2019 18:29:23
583 forum posts
13 photos

Hello and welcome, Alistair

I would certainly say that it would be a good collecting area. I'm guessing that you would like to collect British stamps of the period. There were some great sets to buy as the 1960s produced some good artwork. However, if you also go down the route in collecting postal history you could build up some good collections.

For example, if you went to certain places for your summer holiday, you could collect the various pictorial postmarks associated with holiday destinations. Or if you did National Service, you could collect the BFPO postmarks from places in which you were based. The list is endless. Plus, there have been plenty of modern GB issues which deal with 1960s subjects, for example films. If you look at foreign stamps as well then almost everything about the 1960s has been covered on stamps, from pop music to pop art, cars to spaceflight. You can thus build up a good thematic collection that way and build a story.

Alistair Bruce 119/08/2019 22:15:44
4 forum posts

Thank you, that’s very encouraging.

Alistair Bruce 121/08/2019 14:44:21
4 forum posts

I have been given a random set of British commemorative stamps clearly from several decades. I would welcome advice on how/where I can find out which year they are from.

Many thanks

Keith DUFFY21/08/2019 14:59:21
13 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Alistair,

It depends on exactly what you need to know.

If you just want to date them and see what their rough value is, you could look at Stampworld.com. They have an online "catalogue" covering most countries. This is free, just register with them.

If you are looking for more detailed identification, there are several Stanley Gibbons catalogues, some more detailed than others and show the various varieties and common known faults, shades etc.

If you are only staying with GB commemoratives and not straying for oddities, then Stampworld would help. Otherwise check out the catalogues from Stanley Gibbons.

Alistair Bruce 121/08/2019 15:44:50
4 forum posts

That's very helpful. Thank you.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers