By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What do you collect?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alistair Garner24/11/2018 22:51:41
25 forum posts
33 photos

I agree wholeheartedly with David and Keith above, not only do the Royal Mail depend on collectors for income, they then make it difficult by producing self adhesive, non-removal, security stamps.

Having said that, I remember the RM being under serious threat with the advent of emails, (nobody wrote or sent letters any longer) but then saved by eBay!

I stopped collecting current GB in 1990, but there's plenty of scope to go backwards!

Alistair

John Howe25/11/2018 09:18:28
68 forum posts
60 photos

I stopped collecting British stamps in 2001 because I could see the way the Royal Mail wind was blowing.

I know collect Japanese stamps all of which are very beautiful.

Trevor Bishop 125/11/2018 09:50:04
165 forum posts
54 photos

Hi ,

Following on from the above, I was a bit later stopping in 2010 for the same reasons & realised that most QE11 fdc's are practically worth so little far less than the value of the stamps put on them that I just keep one of each for reference .Although I do have an interest in collecting as many different xmas 1995 Robins fdc's because I like the designs.

And as for the post & go labels well words fail me - these are obviously designed to rake in even more revenue .

I agree with you re Japan and I now have great pleasure in filling earlier gaps of HV commems and earlier reigns with nice cds cancels , it's such a pleasure to find a beautifully cancelled stamp .

I agree there are a lot of other lovely stamps from other countries especially as you say Japan & the beautiful engravings of earlier Scandinavia and alike to keep me busy as do postmarks .

That's the joy of stamp collecting , there's always something else to sidetrack down another avenue .

Trev

Terry Davies10/12/2018 22:15:10
4 forum posts

Hello. I have just returned to collecting after a 50 year layoff! Given that I am 70, have had two heart attacks and my bones must have been pre-owned, I fear my ambition for immortality will have to be reviewed. Given this I am approaching collecting modestly and I am concentrating on:

- GB QE11: I am going for the lot and I do not mind that the PO is just a money spinner for HMG. I just love the gaudy pictures as I have very little taste.

- Women on Stamps: I include some stamps with nude images as many of these are amazing. I have not got them but I recall seeing a series of Spanish stamps that were brilliant. Tastes do vary!

- Album design: I like to design my own pages and having tried several commercial packages, I use Libre Office which does everything I want. My current pages are black print on Rose card. My eldest son says this is "girly" but I like them and have threatened to cut him out of my will if he does not do something about his attitude.

I probably will not contribute much to the forum initially but I look forward to conversing with stampy people.

Terry Davies

David Shouksmith11/12/2018 00:16:53
4 forum posts

A great first post, Terry!

A friend and I were at a stamp fair recently and spotted some stamps with nude women on them. I recalled that when I was nobbut a lad in the late '50s/early '60s, one of my favourite stamps was one from Angola (?) with a nude native woman on it. We then joked about a thematic collection based on female nudes. Looks like you beat us to it!

Edited By David Shouksmith on 11/12/2018 00:17:59

Steve Fell 111/12/2018 10:13:13
18 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Terry. Just like you I decided to revisit stamp collecting after a 50 year break. That was nearly 10 years ago. I started collecting Victorian stamps, moving onto Edwardian and then Georgian. I moved to QEII when I picked up a very large lot at a local auction and now have every stamp from 1952 to current in unmounted mint form. I would certainly recommend your local auction house for a good start. Keep what you need and sell the rest.

The last year or so I have been concentrating on error stamps more recently phosphor variations so there are always new areas to study and collect.

Good luck!

Steve

Terry Davies13/12/2018 21:10:18
4 forum posts

Many thanks for the nice welcomes and good advice. I have tracked down my next local fair (Malvern), been banned from collecting nudes, unless male, by my wife, and developed an interest in the engraver, Elsa Catelin. Just need more time and money!

Robert Kelly 914/12/2018 09:53:45
2 forum posts
Hi,first post i collect GB with postal history being my main interest also Commonwealth.
Carmen14/12/2018 12:27:47
583 forum posts
58 photos

Hey Robert, welcome from Carmen of Canada of the Commonwealth... laugh

Robert Kelly 914/12/2018 20:04:52
2 forum posts
Thank you for the welcome Carmen.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers