By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The 1883 3d & 6d overprints in red

Finding out WHY

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars07/12/2021 18:47:27
748 forum posts
373 photos

As an inquisitive sort of person I was always a bit puzzled with the following : in wanting to know why two stamps that was already printed with denominations of 3d & 6d such as the 1883 stamps was overprinted in red with an identical amount, I could have understood had the values been different, but they was the same !

So I decided to find out and it would appear that I have now discovered the answer relating to these particular overprints, the like of which can be found on the 'GB Overprints Society' web site that gives the explanation : apparently the large overprints was produced in order to identify the stamps and their denomination in the poorly candle lit Victorian offices and also being both of a similar colour.

php/Country_List/15 >**LINK**

This site deserves a recommendation as it is full of useful information !

Fred.

Carmen08/12/2021 11:53:33
725 forum posts
66 photos

Thanks Fred, that WAS an interesting read!

On a related note to candlelight and it's strain on the eyes, I was listening to an older "Stamp Show Here Today" podcast on my walk yesterday and learned the following: in Massachusetts winters, of course, it got dark early, necessitating oil lamps (and the associated eye strain) for the workers to continue working the 10-12 hour days they worked back in the 19th century.

In the spring, daylight would increase and eventually, the workers would throw a party to mark the last time those oil lamps would be extinguished for the day, also known as Blowout Parties, and where we North Americans and their stores now get our expression "Blowout sales".

By the way, I highly commend the SSHT podcast to everyone - it's run by a group of American dealers and experts who really know their stuff, and with a great sense of humour to boot (a listener once commented that their show needed something "more", so they added the sounds of kittens meowing in the background for a couple of episodes... laugh 

In fact they know their stuff so well that I have found some of their episodes to be Irrelevant to My Existence as they will delve DEEP into matters involving one obscure stamp and stuff like that. But well worth the listen overall, and they are now over 300 episodes strong.

Carmen09/12/2021 10:42:14
725 forum posts
66 photos

OH MYYYYYYY... I meant "ITS strain on the eyes", not "it's"! I repent in sackcloth and ashes, people! cool

Fred Sellars09/12/2021 12:20:31
748 forum posts
373 photos

OH no it's not !!!!

OH yes it is !!!!

What a pantomime Carmen.

You shall go to the ball Cinders, not in sack cloth and ashes as stated but via airmail with Father Christmas.

Perhaps you may even want to have a dance with him once you get there, he's raring to go !

What say you, it's your call ?

Carmen10/12/2021 12:13:34
725 forum posts
66 photos

Well in view of the Omicron Variant, I may be avoiding most Christmas parties this year... sigh.

Fred Sellars10/12/2021 12:38:23
748 forum posts
373 photos

Perhaps Boris may be able to sort you out regarding having a party this Christmas !

Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps