By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

I attended the Kingston Stamp Show...

My adventures in the Other Kingston

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen24/10/2021 12:18:49
712 forum posts
65 photos

... in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, that is, which is the beautiful small city where I have lived for 25 years, and whose stamp club show took place yesterday for the first time in 18 months (PS. having lived in England for four years as a child, I also fondly remember YOUR Kingston, from shopping at Bentall's with my mum, where I would get to buy one of Enid Blyton's "Secret Seven" book!

To begin with, I have renamed that day Stamp Day forever more as everything I did revolved around my hobby (and that's what I'll do from now on!):

My day began at home cataloguing the last of some Cambodia stamps so I could bring an up-to-date Want List to perhaps complete some topical series I have in there with Cats and Soccer. I also printed out a list of older Canadian stamps under $10 that I do not yet own. My spending limit for the day, I reassured my poor husband, was $100.

From there I moved to Smitty's, a local restaurant which has seen their fair share of me over the years ( I usually go do some of my office work over there, and eat breakfast once every week or two). This time it was steak and eggs for the Poor Crazy Lady Who Collects Stamps of All Things (Woohoo! I have a gift certificate my church gave me to celebrate my 15th anniversary working for them back in September), while finishing reading November's Stamp Mag issue - my favourite feature has always been Strange But True, right at the end, and this month it was most entertaining, yes? Communism, man...

Then off to the show. Here's what I walked away with (pictures at the end), a good variety of stamps, equipment and literature:

• A "Then & Now Series" history of Rowland Hill and the post Office, to add to my (small) postal literature library ($3.00!)
  • Two United Nations First Day Cover Albums containing 109 FDCs from both New York and Europe ($15.00!)
  • A pristine, never-used blank Gibbons Senator Album which will now become the central repository for My Very Favourite Stamps (so they're all in one place rather than scattered among the various countries that issued them. ($35.00 - I'd be curious to learn more about this album, when it was printed and published... I didn't see anything on their website)
  • Various and sundry stamps and sheets representing my other topical interests (Royalty, Titanic...) ($30.00)
  • A can of Pure Citrus Orange air freshener, widely acknowledged to be the BEST way to remove self-adhesive stamps, and which the seller picked up in the States as it's not sold in Canada (15.00)
  • That's right, i had $5 left when I left! #ProudAndThrifty

Stamp Day continued in my car and on my walk as I listened to various stamp-related podcasts (Our Dad's Stamps' latest, and Stamp Show Here Today).

So all in all, a perfect day for the Stamp Collector in me!

Now to catalogue that stuff as well. G'Bye!

kingston stamp show 2021 2.jpg

kingston stamp show 2021 1.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Universal Philatelic Auctions
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values