By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Take mint out of sets or not

Display issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Wright 418/09/2021 19:55:06
1 forum posts

Hi all. Could you tell me is it best to display a full set of stamps even if they are used and mint. Or should I take the mints out of sets and display all mints in their own album. Thanks

Carmen19/09/2021 11:56:09
698 forum posts
65 photos

Hi Kevin! Welcome to the Fora!

Can't speak for anybody else, but my advice would be: do what YOU like! As a matter of course, my own stamps are all generally catalogued and stored by country, although I am also a topical collector.

Sooooooooo... I use electronic stamp cataloguing software that allows me to do both (I inventory them in each country but then assign categories to them for searching and topical collecting) and then I can print reports along whatever lines I need, so that, should I ever want to create a separate display of my soccer (ooops... FOOTBALL! Go Liverpool! laugh) or Titanic stamps, for instance, it would be quite easy for me to find them and then put them together in a separate album, for instance.

That's the fun part of collecting stamps - anything goes!

Now the advantage of keeping them all together is to allow the viewer to see all of 'em... for example, Machin stamps have been designed in so many colours over the years that putting them all together creates a bright, striking picture on the page, whether they're used or new!

See?! Anything goes!

Anyone else have thoughts?

Alex19/09/2021 13:06:37
610 forum posts
13 photos

I have always tended to separate mint and used stamps. What I have done is mount mint stamps / sets on the left pages of my albums, used stamps on the right hand pages.

Slowly, over time, I have filled in the gaps that occurred by doing it this way.

However, as the above collector has stated, it is YOUR collection to display as you feel is right for you and there is absolutely nothing wrong, in my view, with having both used and mint stamps displayed together as sets.

Carmen19/09/2021 13:28:56
698 forum posts
65 photos

Great idea as well, Alex!

Kevin, I remember reading a story once about a topical collector so specific that he only collected stamps with cows-pointing-to-the-left or something like that! I could see him adopting Alex's system: cows to the left on the left page, cows to the right on the right page!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE