By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What exactly does Imperf mean?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kim Tomlinson16/06/2021 16:16:45
44 forum posts
13 photos

I have been looking at Machin booklet stamps with one or two straight sides. I have seen some lists on line and there seems to be no consistency in the lists, I have also seen for sale 'full set of 48 Machin Imperf's' But I have counted more than 60 with straight cut sides. Also non of the lists or sets have a 1/2p with a straight cut side. (Which I have).

Is there a difference between between booklet, straight cut and imperf meanings?

Kim Tomlinson19/06/2021 08:10:47
44 forum posts
13 photos

I have been looking at the Straight cut stamps and created the following table, I don't think it is complete yet, can anyone add or confirm the info please?

img20210619_07582179.jpg

Fred Sellars20/06/2021 12:28:31
668 forum posts
303 photos

Good afternoon Kim,

Unfortunately I do not have anything to contribute to what is basically a finished chart based on the various imperforated edges to be found on Machin stamps.

I like the way that you have composed the layout by the use of graphics in liaison to the different issues and values that have been printed and used in the past, they have been nicely condensed into a reasonable format that makes for easy reading and identification.

Perhaps your next venture would be to give dates when first issued and/or variations as to the different printers on a similar basis to the one you have just created.

Keep up the good work, Fred.

Maurice Buxton22/06/2021 20:21:53
9 forum posts

Not sure how the dealer arrived at the figure -- might be on a more or less simplified basis, perhaps not counting top and bottom imperfs as different?

The ½p's different: when booklet panes were guillotined, although it was supposed to be through the middle of the perfs, they were often misaligned so you get stamps one side of the cut with most of the perfs still there and stamps on the other with trimmed perfs. Where the misalignment was really bad the latter look like they have a fully imperf side (well they do, I suppose, but it's an unintended freak result so the catalogues don;t list them).

Kim Tomlinson04/07/2021 13:27:43
44 forum posts
13 photos

More info added (please let me know if you see errors) Yes 48 was correct in the end.

img20210704_12540972.jpg

machin straight cut set.jpg

Edited By Kim Tomlinson on 04/07/2021 13:30:58

Fred Sellars04/07/2021 14:27:04
668 forum posts
303 photos

WOW ! That's fantastic Kim

You have now created a marvelous reference guide relating to all the various imperforate edges from the Machin booklets, also giving dates and printer indicators, this is a much improved version to the one previously submitted.

I'm sure that companies like Stanley Gibbons are looking for people like you.

Perhaps you could add the NVI's at a later date.

Well done. Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 04/07/2021 14:53:18

Fred Sellars05/07/2021 10:35:08
668 forum posts
303 photos

Good morning Kim,

On looking at the two new updated attachments you have submitted, I can see that you have put a lot of work into the formatting and assembling of all the different types of imperforate sides available from booklets, that have a value inscribed on them.

I would like to display them on the GBPS' QE ll forum as a matter of reference, if that's ok with you.

Let me know your decision, as full credit would be given to you alone.

Thanks, Fred

Kim Tomlinson06/07/2021 16:59:21
44 forum posts
13 photos

By all mean's Fred, the picture was from google search and I created the excel sheet. If you do post at GBPS just let me know if anyone points out errors. KIm

Kim Tomlinson06/07/2021 17:03:16
44 forum posts
13 photos

Two other list's and again I am not sure they are complete so if you know of error's please let me know.

anni. booklet stamps.jpg

nvi booklet stamps.jpg

Fred Sellars06/07/2021 18:26:36
668 forum posts
303 photos

Hi there Kim,

I see that you have provided the two missing pieces that completes this Jigsaw, it should now cover the whole spectrum of the imperforate edged booklet stamps.

I will of course state your request regarding the fact that if found not to be 100% correct in it's details you will be notified accordingly.

I do have a slight problem though, as the name Kim covers both genders, do I introduce you as Mr, Mrs or M/S as being the author of this guide, other than that there should be no major problem.

With one final request Kim, what name would you like as a heading for the article ?

Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values