By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cancel Marks

A stamps worth USED

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian23/02/2021 20:57:12
774 forum posts
364 photos

I recently saw a comment when searching online old stamps. And in doing so I saw something which made me stop and think about catalogues when they say used or mint.

So the question is, does a First Day of Issue cancel mark include as used in the correct sense? Or better still what constitutes as a cancel nark in the sense used to Catalogues?

I have never realised just how many questions can be made upon such a single thing on a cover! In a discussion we had in here some time back about "cancels" "do they make a cover more valuable", there would now be a question whether this is true or not? I think this is when you consider Stanley Gibbons specialized catalogue, they do give a picture of cancels on covers and a price from recollection but I cannot remember if the cancel was given as a single component outside of the cover intended to have the cancel, I believe SG only do the value for a cancel in a set of one issue meant for that cover. I'm struggling to explain my question but I have misplaced my catalogue to give a for instance.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values