By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hinges

a good idea in their time

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian23/02/2021 20:25:31
774 forum posts
364 photos

I have recently been buying cheap old Stamps and commented on how thin the Stamps were. I also purchased a "Inherited collection" which had both old and modern Stamps.

I know we all most probably used these, I know I did when I was a kid and you can see why they were invented.

However that said I am now wondering what I thought was thin Stamps is not true but until I get things sorted or someone replies to my comments this will only be proven by myself.

If anyone asks the question about inherited lots the first thing I would ask is how are they mounted and trust me if hinged, I would not give any money for them, they totally destroy the Stamp even if left on. I have got enough material now, all I want is to get some rubbish post cards with Stamps on before I shall do my testing.

I am glad I have a bunch of cotton buds (smiles) to use but these Hinges make the Stamp to go hard, easy to tear the Stamp and also stain which when you add that up, if the Stamp was worth anything, the damage these do makes them worthless in my opinion, to the extent, I am throwing away, I would not even waste a Charities time, in giving them.

There are pros and cons to other types of mounts and more so the conditions they are stored in. The knowledge this brings to a collector is a must and not many think about such things, because I still have loads to learn!

Edited By Julian on 23/02/2021 20:30:01

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values