By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Year printed upside down.

Year error

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Kevin Leary26/02/2021 19:19:16
22 forum posts
9 photos

Just checked in, pleased to see this oddity has generate some interest, hopefully the wider picture showing a stamp and slogan cancellation confirms my suspicion it is genuine error.

inverted date.jpg

This Polish chap seems to have ben prodigious collector with full envelopes from his time inPoland in 1939 through to service with Polish forces in Scotland from 1940 until demob in 1946. He has corresponded with contacts in Canada and Switzerland,etc until late 1980's and hoarded stamps and letters through. Am really tempted to get translation to know more about the man.

Julian28/02/2021 11:32:41
785 forum posts
364 photos

Hi Kevin,

I do remember Paul saying this before and its in here somewhere about about these cancels are made by individual slugs where by this type error can occur so with forgetting that I doubted this could happen. It in that sense is something I would add to a collection as an oddity. Knowing however that a human could do this on purpose as someone in the Stamp world did with, International Format Printers did, it sort of taints it slightly? A genuine misprint and machine failure is more interesting.

That would be a tedious job translating them but if you could somehow scan them and then save them into word document, cut and paste and use online translators could be a way. If your a person of Facebook and the like, maybe making a friend on there who could do that. There are enough Polish friends here who would probably assist.

I just met one on Ebay, my friends daughter is married to one, seek and thou shall find?

Julian

Kevin Leary10/03/2021 17:33:25
22 forum posts
9 photos

Like a London bus another one has popped up. Since this collector was a Rochdale resident I assume he retained every letter/stamp he received over the years and a Manchester stamp with the year upside down is understandable. He could ,of course,have worked for the postal service,in which case an element of doubt applies.1975.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps