By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stamp collection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Diane Bates09/02/2021 21:02:50
2 forum posts

Hello all I am new to this forum . My dad has recently passed away and has left a collection of stamps. I have no idea if they are worthless or valuable . Can I get any advice anywhere please

thank you

Diane

Paul Davey 109/02/2021 21:22:37
498 forum posts
26 photos

Welcome Diane

If you search the forums you will see this question is often asked. (Keyword "collection" gives some answers), To quote one of these (although the advice may be modified in the current situation!):

"There are a number of threads on here about inherited collections etc which most folk want to sell. Worth a search and checking out the threads. In brief, much depends where you are. Near a city in the UK you could request help from the local stamp club or if there is one, the local dealer. These guys (some of whom advertise in Stamp Magazine) are experienced in assessing disorganised collections. If you go down the "catalogue value of each stamp" approach you will find you may obtain only 10% catalogue value (the dealer may turn over the majority for 20%) for a lot of work, Of course exclude most stamps less than £5 from the calculation all together! Don't forget modern GB stamps since 1971, unused, can still be used to send mail. Few are worth more than face value.

If the collection is a "serious" one containing quality stamps in good condition the picture is very different and auction may be the way to go. An example of the first issue of China on the earliest recorded envelope realised $1.8M recently!

Of course we all hope you get interested enough to want to continue the collection! If so the local club will certainly offer copious advice (& probably tea!). The local library is often a good place to find contact details."

If we can offer any specific advice please post.

Good luck!

Paul

Edited By Paul Davey 1 on 09/02/2021 21:23:13

Diane Bates10/02/2021 07:59:36
2 forum posts

Dear Paul

thank you for your reply . I live in Worcester Park in Surrey so will look out for a local stamp club. The collection contains some very old stamps and some from around the world. I just don’t have a clue. They are probably worthless but don’t want to take them to a charity shop or jumble sale without knowing .
any help would be appreciated

thanks

Diane

Fred Sellars10/02/2021 12:11:28
568 forum posts
238 photos

Good afternoon Diane,

As a general guide you could enter "stamp world" into your browser which will give you a free catalogue to all the stamps of the world in order to give a rough valuation, not forgetting what Paul said over catalogue prices. Fred.

Steve Fraser10/02/2021 23:46:12
3 forum posts

Hi Diane

I'd try contacting the secretary of the Epsom and Ewell Philatelic Society, to see whether they can help you. He is Robert Mott, email mott@btinternet.com

Good luck

Steve

Gillian Hutchinson20/02/2021 09:11:30
122 forum posts
4 photos

Is anyone in the family interested in taking over the collection, Diane? If not, maybe someone at the local stamp club?

I volunteered in a charity shop pre-Covid and someone donated a stamp album and its stamps. We sold it at a fairly low price - I can't remember how much, maybe under a fiver.

Gillian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values