By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Germany

Air Mail

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian28/01/2021 14:11:40
785 forum posts
364 photos

I purchased this because there is no stamp on it other than the cancel mark? include Front & Reverse pictures. Is this something that was just carried in the flight thus no Stamp needed as it is not of or in the Postal system? It says Manilla to Frankfurt on front yet the return address is Canada?luft.jpgrev

luft a.jpg

Kevin Leary10/03/2021 19:41:26
22 forum posts
9 photos

Slightly off topic but I came across an interesting stamp last night for East Germany that appears to have had not one but two overprints. An original 5 appears to have had 2 changes,one large X cancels the first overprint of 12 pfennigs (?) then a current value of 12 overprinted. Would this be a frequent example after WW2 and inflation raging ?

ddroverprint.jpg

Edited By Kevin Leary on 10/03/2021 19:43:22

Alex11/03/2021 11:42:51
606 forum posts
13 photos

Hi

Your stamp actually only has one OP. The number five refers to the Communist 5 Year Plan. The stamp was originally for the foreign postcard rate of 12 pfg but in October 1954 the rate was reduced to 10 pfg.

As for inflation, well, the East Germans then kept this same 10 pfg foreign postcard rate from 1954 until 1990!

Hope that helps..

Al

Kevin Leary11/03/2021 19:27:09
22 forum posts
9 photos

Thnx Alex, thought the 12 looked rather shabby for an original print. I was reading that Gorbachev shed DDR because of inflation so jumped to conclusion , my main exercise just now !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps