By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

windsor Albums volumes

need a hand holding moment (ok on the internet lol)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ron vale 223/01/2021 16:18:09
7 forum posts

Over the years have collected GB stamps and used the Windsor Albums. and yealry supplements.

As a result i am now onto Vol 10.The other days iwa going though the SG website and noticed that some time ago everything was revised to the extent that my original Vol 1 1840-1970 is now split into two volumes 1840-1952 and Vol 2 1953-1970 I assume Vol 3 starts with the decimal issues

On top of that the Machins are now in a sep Vol.

I am going to bite the bullet and buy the pages only volumes.

Now here is the question

What new volumes do i need to get until they match up with my existing pages?

What volumes cover what years?

Any assistance greatfully received

Paul Davey 128/01/2021 08:03:22
506 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Ron

I think nobody on here knows the answer! I suggest e-mailing SG and asking them!

Paul

ron vale 228/01/2021 08:50:19
7 forum posts

Thanks

I think i have got enough info form Ebay and the SG site to work out i need to buy Vols 1-5 to get it all in order

Appreciate your post

Stay Healthy

Ron

David Shouksmith11/04/2021 17:38:13
8 forum posts

I've been collecting in Windsor albums since 1968 when I bought Volume 1, subsequently keeping it up-to-date with the annual supplements and later volumes as they were issued. However, I had a hiatus in collecting in 1996 and stopped buying the annual supplements/new volumes, although I maintained my Philatelic Bureau subscription. By 2012 I had approximately 200 unopened PB envelopes containing the various stamp issues over those years. It seemed a shame to have those sitting around without albums to put them in so I phoned Gibbons and even got to speak to the chap who is in charge of the Windsor album section. He was very helpful about post-1996 albums and supplements - I bought Volumes 5, 6 and 7 binders and pre-mounted pages to suit. These were hugely expensive (~£600 if I recall correctly) but what a joy to fill the pre-mounted pages - no more faffing about cutting Hawid mounts to size and sticking them in without getting them cock-eyed due to the original spring binder not lying flat!

Anyway, buoyed-up by that experience I decided to do something about my 1968 Volume 1 which had, 50 years later, not only got very out-of-date but using Hawid mounts had become impossible for some issues e.g. the 1913, 1915 and 1918 Seahorses which wouldn't fit in the old page layout. So I phoned Gibbons again but this time, they couldn't really help much. I ended up chatting to an album dealer, Michael Kay of Bicester, Oxfordshire who advertises in the SG annual brochure and he was really helpful, although it turned out there was no real or easy solution to the problem with the old Volume 1 being split into two new volumes, other than a compromise which is a bit of a mish-mash. What I did was to buy a SG Kensington 22-hole lie flat binder and a new set of Volume 1 (pre-mounted) leaves to fit in that. I transferred the 1840-1952 stamps into that. The 1952 - 1970 pre-decimal stamps remain in the latter part of the old Volume 1. As I've said, a bit of a compromise but it doesn't worry me too much since I've probably got 95% of the QEII stuff I'm interested in collecting, so my current interest QV, KEVII, and GV is all in the new "Volume1" Kensington binder.

Hope that helps...

Edited By David Shouksmith on 11/04/2021 17:40:14

Edited By David Shouksmith on 11/04/2021 17:44:35

David Shouksmith11/04/2021 17:57:42
8 forum posts

A follow-on from my post above:-

Michael Kay

26 Wensum Crescent,

Bicester,

OX26 2GL

01869 321677 or 07880 542866 (Mon-Fri, 10am - 5pm)

info@michaelkay.co.uk

michaelkay.co.uk

I have no connection whatsoever with this business - other than I received very good service from Mr. Kay...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop