By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Unusual / Fake 1978 9p stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Church 110/01/2021 09:22:23
6 forum posts
3 photos

I have discovered an unusual sheet of stamps which at first glance appear to be 9p stamps complete with the Queens head produced to mark the 1978 Football World Cup Finals.

There is a postal cover with them featuring the 2 players kissing and this makes me think the items are much more recent but I cannot find anything similar on the internet.

I'm not sure if they were produced as a fake item or if they are some sort of modern art and would be very interested to get any further knowledge etc.

I hope images of them are added to this message via the my albums link

Many thanks for any help.

Richard

Paul Davey 110/01/2021 11:21:36
492 forum posts
26 photos

Richard

- if you edit your post and click on the "insert image from album" button near the end of the first row of buttons (looks like a camera) you can select the album image you want to display within the text. Much easier than getting people to go find the album. If you want to display all three, do it three times! Going to your "my photos" works but if you hang around and post more it will become increasingly difficult to find. A scan of one stamp would be useful too.

I can't add images from your album, but from one of mine;

science.jpg

There isn't a card with any info inside the FDC perchance?

Paul

Edited By Paul Davey 1 on 10/01/2021 11:25:26

Richard Church 110/01/2021 11:41:39
6 forum posts
3 photos

img_8746.jpg

Richard Church 110/01/2021 11:41:53
6 forum posts
3 photos

img_8747.jpg

Richard Church 110/01/2021 11:42:08
6 forum posts
3 photos

img_8748.jpg

Richard Church 110/01/2021 11:43:12
6 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for that, hopefully the postings above show the items in better detail.

There is no card in the cover envelope, the front says Design by Pete Green but again I am struggling to find anything on him.

Fred Sellars10/01/2021 12:51:59
540 forum posts
218 photos

These stamps have never been issued by the GPO and can only be classified as Cinderella's

img_20210110_120810.jpg

They must have been privately produced by a stalwart Argentinian fan, and are indeed fakes !

The final result being Argentina 3 - Netherlands 1, England did not qualify for the world cup in 1978.

Fred.

Julian11/01/2021 04:59:05
733 forum posts
310 photos

You will find something somewhere because I've seen that cover somewhere but when and where geez knows and I been away from here 3 years, one good sign I find with Cinderella's is the perf in the sheet, nearly all my fake stuff has the tell tale sign where they join and it goes skew whiff or out of line.

But I know that cover is most certainly floating around because I also remember the same comment about the two kissing!

I done so much searching in the past its hard to remember where I would have seen it but the stamp sheet for me is good enough to say fake.

Julian12/01/2021 08:18:13
733 forum posts
310 photos

Well I have gone through the Sites I kept a record of that covers this Subject of this sort and keeping upto date with them is hard enough as it is! There is so much new stuff / subjects coming out now, the old seems to fall away. I know for sure that a set of stamps I saw recently are illegal / fake and I just cannot find them to reference. I think unless you make your own note at the time of finding them, its a lost cause.

I can only say, regard this lot you have here is question what your seeing, as I say one of my tell tale signs is Perforations.

And like my mind is a sieve anyway but you just know its not right. It really bugs me when I cant find something I know is like this. Who knows it even may have been an old post in here?

Sorry I cannot give you certainty to your question.

Richard Church 112/01/2021 10:24:45
6 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for your response, I knew they had not been issued and guessed they were fakes but just had it in the back of my mind they might be either a piece of 'Banksy' style modern art or a slight chance they were some unissued stamps relating to Scotland and the 1978 World Cup which were once unearthed.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values