By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

WHO IS THE FAIREST OF THEM ALL ?

British Queen portraits on stamps.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars02/01/2021 13:26:43
540 forum posts
218 photos

What are your views Paul (or anyone else for that matter) on the duration of the Machin portrait, that over the years has created so many complicated variations based on a particular single design ?

Fred.

Paul Davey 102/01/2021 18:41:04
492 forum posts
26 photos

Well Fred,

whilst it is not my "cup of tea", it makes it interesting to collect. I see no problems in having a unified design for definitives and the Machin head is quite striking. If they use the same design it is boring, if they issue a new set it is exploiting collectors! I suppose it enables you to tell the story of all the technical advances in printing and document security in a way that emphasises the technology.

Paul

Fred Sellars02/01/2021 18:55:37
540 forum posts
218 photos

So in your opinion Paul you would like to see the Machin profile remain in fear of upsetting/exploiting collectors with a completely new portrait, surely this is already being done by RM !

I'll make a note of that as it's not "your cup of tea", I wonder what other collectors think that like the beverage ? Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 02/01/2021 19:11:47

Neil Barrett 304/01/2021 10:46:49
35 forum posts

You know, it hadn't occurred to me that the Machin head had not changed while the coinage head has changed ( see Royal Mint for the 5 designs (including Machin)).

Wikipedia suggests that there were proposals in the 80s to update but the Queen herself was not too keen. If there was a subsequent time to have updated then maybe with the Jubilee issues or the Millennium but I think it may have passed now. Wonder if there are already top-secret designs for the next monarch? (George VII apparently rather than Charles III.)

Fred Sellars04/01/2021 11:32:45
540 forum posts
218 photos

Based on your theory Neil, what would Prince Charles and William have to say on your assumptions ?

SEND HIM TO THE TOWER !!!!!!

I don't think that your idea is very plausible in reality. Fred.

Neil Barrett 304/01/2021 16:22:43
35 forum posts

The Prince of Wales has already suggested his regnal name would be George making him the 7th of that ilk - did you think I meant HM would outlive the next two generations and pass the crown to her great-grandson??? Or that some terrible accident would take out two levels of Waleses? In the latter case, would we end up with Harry as Prince Regent (or Andrew!) until the smaller George is an adult.

As I said - wonder if there are secret designs planned out already? Would they be based on a photo or a bust?

Fred Sellars04/01/2021 17:15:09
540 forum posts
218 photos

Apologies for my misinterpretation of your original assumption Neil with the heir to the throne having 4 Christian names to choose from (Charles Philip Arthur George).

But in the meantime as previously stated with our coinage, a new image of the Queen on the stamps of the realm would not go amiss. Fred.

Fred Sellars08/01/2021 11:40:40
540 forum posts
218 photos

It would appear that Paul prefers a continuation of the current Machin image for one reason or another even though its around 53 years since it was first introduced.

The image of her majesty needs to be brought up to date, in line with our coinage, she is no longer 41 ! Fred.

Fred Sellars11/01/2021 10:38:20
540 forum posts
218 photos

There was some speculation back in 2013 when Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and king Albert II of the Belgians abdicated in that year and that our queen could be on the verge of abdicating in favour of her eldest son, but that was 7 years ago and it never happened !

Here is a cartoon of the possibility shown at that time by Krista Opettaa on the 6th of July 2013 >

https://kristaopettaa.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/big-words-abdicate/

Therefore it is possible that what you have suggested Neil may be about to happen, ! And is the reason for not replacing the Machin portrait that is currently 53 years old. Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values