Perforation Stamps

Example Cayman Islands

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian24/10/2020 02:08:05
677 forum posts
276 photos

Hi All,

I want to know if or where I could find the peroration from a Miniature sheet Stamp verses a Postal sheet? Or would the Perfs be the same?

Stanley Gibbons only give the size of the sheet. As only a few of the sheets only use one Stamp from a set of 4 Stamps in design, I need to know would these be used?

So here is an example

vanuatu 6.jpg

A MS which only 1 Stamp was used out of the 4, yet other sheets all four Stamps get used on a FDC? The weird thing is out of 31 sheets of different Countries, there only a few which have only 1 stamp used out of 4?

There are other sheets used and only 1 out of 9 is used?

So I think what I am asking is, is there a legal regulation to companies only using officially used Stamps on a FDC collection as these would be cancelled as first day of issue which is not the same as a postal cancel?! I think the only way of proving this is by using the perf count and seeing if the one Stamp used is different than the rest in a sheet?

I think I touched on this question before but talking about different cancels?

But I am trying to work out this problem with only using one Stamp out of a sheet four and others use all 4! There must be a reason and the only thing I can think of is that not all four are used postal reasons.

This does go on to a whole new subject about opinions of these companies making up these collections! ?

Alex24/10/2020 09:03:43
595 forum posts
13 photos

Best way to determine the perforations is to buy a perforation gauge. They are cheap to buy and easy to use.

Usually the perforations from a MS and a postal sheet (I'm guessing that you're referring to the stamp sheets used in post office counters?) will be the same, but not always.

Trying to follow your argument, it seems to me that you're asking whether there may be two sets of perforations on one MS, one for postally valid stamps and another for 'invalid' stamps.

With genuine philatelic MS the answer would usually be that all stamps are the same perforation and all stamps in the MS are valid for postal use. There have been a handful that had different perforations but that usually was because the stamps were a different size or format. However, unless one is a label, for a philatelic exhibition or suchlike, all will be valid for postal use.

In my own collecting fields I have not come across the situation you refer to, but it may be a different matter when it comes to these 'souvenir' stamps.

Sorry Julian, I can't help you much here.

Julian01/11/2020 18:44:55
677 forum posts
276 photos

Hi Alex nice to see you.

I think I have a part answer and a way to check if what I have is right or not. Maybe a trip to the Library is due and get a Catalogue out.

Have you any interesting things through the post or your charity shops or online? I did miss reading stories to postal things and history.

Will hopefully get 1 or 2 from me soon.

Julian

Julian11/11/2020 15:58:45
677 forum posts
276 photos

OK.

I can conclude that what I have tried to explain is not true both the sheet and FDC are the same perf! I got 13 3/4 by 13 1/4 on both and only the values are different on the sheet and on postal stamp, going though my collection I have a couple of ideas to work on. Well Stanley Gibbons I now know how to read so its a trip to the Library but I truly do not understand the logic of why these companies produced their collections the way they did, however it could be down to cost but I am now half way there once this lock down is over I shall get at least one part concluded for real?

If anyone has a catalogue which tells you the perf on Crown Agents Botswana MS 889 as I have above I'd be grateful and the postal stamps to?

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values