By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more


Cream, Whiter or Fluorescent sir ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars13/10/2020 14:18:23
422 forum posts
165 photos

I have noticed the terminology used to define various types of paper that are listed and priced accordingly in the specialised catalogues, with abbreviations such as FCP(fluorescent coated paper) or OCP(original coated paper) that is usually associated with the type of gum that has been applied such as FCP/GA or FCP/PVA, but I have yet to see FP(fluorescent paper) being used or WP(whiter paper) when there is a dull response to long wave UV.

Let me give you a typical example !

Here is a 5p regional for Northern Ireland as seen under long wave ultraviolet light, with specialised catalogues defining them as OCP/PVA, giving only one example of the paper used.


It can be seen that this is not the case, admittedly, the first stamp is correctly defined, but the second stamp has been printed on a fluorescent paper due to its reaction under UV and consequently two different papers have been used to print them, and the abbreviations WP or FP needs to be utilised in order to differentiate between the two.

The same applies to the same value issued for Scotland as with others also noticed.


The difference is quite obvious and should be taken into consideration, what are your views on this particular subject ? Fred.

Fred Sellars14/10/2020 09:12:07
422 forum posts
165 photos

What a lot of collectors don't realise or understand is the fact that the chemical contents of the paper is a separate issue from the chemical content of it's coating, therefore the paper can only be assessed/identified by inspecting the stamp from the gummed side, irrespective of the printed side where the coating has been applied, this is due to the fact that the coating was applied after the paper was produced and responds quite differently under radiation of long wave ultraviolet light, however this does not apply to uncoated papers. 

It would appear that a definition has been given to the gum used PVA, PVAD, Gum Arabic, etc and also to it's coating, FCP, OCP, etc, but fails to indicate the actual type of paper that was used in the first place prior to the coating and gum being applied.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 14/10/2020 09:35:09

Fred Sellars16/10/2020 16:24:51
422 forum posts
165 photos

Whilst studying the multiple crown Wilding papers I noticed differences in composition of some of the papers used to print them, with the differences being known as 'wove' and 'laid' paper, normally distinguished by having either a mesh wire (wove) or single wire (laid) incorporated into their structure (embodiment) as viewed from the gummed side, it's possible that these single wired specimens were experimental with reversed diagonal singles also being found on certain values on the 10d,1/- and 1/6d's only.

Here are a couple of attachments of the 10d & 1/- showing reversals



Along with the 1/6d


I have recently discovered a single horizontal version of this anomaly on the much later 3d value with a a centre phosphor band.


There are yet many more variations to be found on this fascinating issue. Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!


Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift