By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Two pence stamp

QV black Two pence stamp

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ivan timmis06/10/2020 14:58:05
3 forum posts
2 photos

dsc_0066.jpgdsc_0066.jpgcan any one tell me why this two pence black/ dark blue is this colour its perforated and if you hold it to the light it shows a dark greenish blue tint on perforation one side only also has a large crown watermark any info would be much appreciated thanks

Paul Davey 107/10/2020 09:17:29
457 forum posts
26 photos

Looks a bit "oxidised" to me (though chemically it's not an oxidation, it's called that in philately). The brown staining at the bottom right appears to be "foxing" which is a fungal stain, though see the Wiki entry for details. A light hydrogen peroxide treatment might improve it, but there are risks. To me it's on the dark shade of blue and I would probably leave it alone.

The phone picture is not clear enough to see the plate number - top tip - Use a scanner! Keeps it flat and in focus and 800dpi gives all the detail you need. See the gradually evolving set of scans for the 2d at https://www.stampsoftheworld.co.uk/wiki/Category:GB_2d_Blue

Edited By Paul Davey 1 on 07/10/2020 09:18:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values