Mystery stamp

Country identification

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Parker 214/09/2020 13:53:54
5 forum posts
1 photos

mystery stamp.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this stamp please? I found it in a bulk lot of Empire & Commonwealth pre-Elizabeth that I bought recently. Every other stamp has been from the correct areas and eras so I've no reason to suppose that this one is rogue.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Brian

There's no discernible watermark, and it appears to be P12, if any of that helps.

Alex15/09/2020 10:23:20
587 forum posts
13 photos

Hi.

Nice looking stamp.

It comes from one of the pre independence Indian feudal states, in this case a place called Faridkot. I gather that these were printed in the 1930s but never actually saw postal use. Maybe a collector of India can help you further.

Hope that helps,

Alex

Fred Sellars15/09/2020 12:07:42
399 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Brian,

Alex is quite correct in his identification of this stamp, it originated in Faridkot (an Indian state) in 1934 the script being in Urdu and has a face value of ½ Anna but was never used postally, copies of the stamp can be found in various colours, produced to satisfy collectors demands, and can also be found imperforate and cancelled to order (CTO).

Unfortunately Brian, they are of little or no value, so don't give up your day job just yet 😊 . Fred.

Brian Parker 215/09/2020 13:25:06
5 forum posts
1 photos

Hi,

Thanks Alex and Fred for this information. Mystery solved and armed with this info I've persuaded Google to show me more examples of the design.

I fully expected my day job to be safe ;-o but can now do a bit more research, all part of the fun of opening up a kiloware bag, and it makes a change from the multiple examples of the common low-value Empire stamps it contained.

Thanks again,

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers