By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Are your earlier used decimal Machins contaminated ?

Fluorescent surface coating fugitive !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars14/09/2020 11:14:38
399 forum posts
145 photos

Back in the early 70s it would appear that the decimal Machins had a fluorescent coating added to their surface in order to aid the A L F section of the automatic sorting system at the GPO.

I have discovered by the use of a long wave ultraviolet light that this fluorescent coating applied was highly fugitive once submerged in water 💦 . It came about when I was soaking off some of these issues (pre 93 non ellipticals) and found that the tissue used to dry them had been impregnated with a fluorescent substance....img_20200904_185609.jpg

From my findings it would appear that the fluorescent surface coating applied to the stamps was the culprit, I was aware that certain Victorian stamps had been printed with fugitive inks in the past such as the "lilac & greens", but to find this on modern day stamps was something of an eye-opener !

I then decided to check some of the stamps that had been soaked off and discovered that this contamination had also happened to the stamps.img_20200904_203131.jpg

Over the years millions of these used stamps must have been soaked off paper, have you checked the ones in your collection for contamination ?

As an afterthought, I would NOT mix other issues, including Wildings and others with these stamps when soaking off paper for fear of contamination !

Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 14/09/2020 11:39:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers