By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Racism

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Leslie Appleyard11/06/2020 17:47:02
1 forum posts

I am an avid collector of GB and commonwealth/Empire stamps. in the light of the current anti racist climate and what is happening to Statues etc I am concerned that if people were to aim their anger at philately certain stamps/ themes in my collection from the old Empire would become worthless due to the sensitive subject/personage matter. i.e Cecil Rhodes, Mountbatten,Churchill etc.I would welcome the thoughts of other forum members on this matter .Are my fears groundless or should I be applying a "Stock Market" philosophy and join the other philatelist lemmings and offload them before they become worthless.

Alex11/06/2020 18:41:20
586 forum posts
13 photos

Interesting point.

My own view is that the present climate shouldn't affect the philatelic market or have a negative impact on collectors whose private collections include stamps that display historical people, institutions, subjects or countries that may be deemed 'racist' by a modern audience.

I collect Third Reich items and that is a collecting field that has long had its fair share of negative and subjective criticism from both philatelists and lay people alike. However, the collecting of this type of material has never been banned and I very much doubt that your private collection will suffer any censorship of any kind due to the present political situation.

However, those who display their collections in public, whether at stamp shows or at their local school, may find that social pressure and local councils may dictate what is acceptable for such occasions in future.

Would be interesting to see how others here feel about the matter too.

Evan Rees 111/07/2020 14:22:18
12 forum posts
2 photos

I think that the issue in the current social context is how we interpret materials / items that were produced with a view to celebrating the "achievements" of people like Rhodes, or even Hitler. If we were to present these things in ways which seem to glorify them we'll encounter difficulties. If we are perceived to be positive about racism, imperialism or any other kind of oppression then we will rightly (in my opinion) encounter difficulties.

That stamps with people like Rhodes and Hitler pictured on them were produced is a history which shouldn't be glossed over. Equally, to present the consequences of their actions as anything other than overally negative would also be a distortion.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values