Christmas 1970

S.G. 838 - 4d.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul stirling06/04/2020 14:21:05
9 forum posts
4 photos

my first post, so hello everyone and apologies in advance for any gaffs

Hoping someone can help please regarding the 4d. value from the 1970 Christmas set, which should have a fairly bright vermilion background, of which I have several unused - but also have two or three in a very pale shade of pink as in the right hand example in the attached picture.

Both examples showing are phosphor band stamps, but I'm puzzled as to the difference in colour - is there any chance the vermilion is missing?

Another quick question please whilst the pen is hot - what is a lying watermark?

thanks in advance for any help.christmas 1970.jpg

Fred Sellars06/04/2020 16:13:18
371 forum posts
107 photos

Good afternoon Paul,

Postage stamps that have been exposed to the sun's rays have a tendency to fade over time due to a process known as photochemical reaction, this is probably the reason for the difference in colour of the two stamps shown.

Paul stirling06/04/2020 18:48:16
9 forum posts
4 photos

many thanks Fred for the quick reply, with answer. So, fugitive to light as they say - it certainly makes the phosphor band very conspicuous - though have to say the fading is nothing of my doing - they came from a charity shop some month or two back and were like this when I bought them, so presumably someone else left them in the sunshine.

thanks again for the help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers