By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The philatelic world of "ODDBALLS"

What's your eye candy ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Billy Broadland13/08/2020 21:11:31
163 forum posts
49 photos

Looks like stamp A has been in the sun too long. Faded.

Fred Sellars14/08/2020 08:42:26
399 forum posts
145 photos

Good morning Billy,

I suppose you could also say the same about the colour variations of the 1912-22 royal cypher definitives !

Stamp (A) is actually darker than stamp (B) and is not faded

These stamps have not been sunbathing, Fred.

Paul Davey 114/08/2020 09:08:51
450 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by Fred Sellars on 16/04/2020 09:49:22:

With quite a few Belgian stamps of around this time period early1900's, usually with the name Brussels and date you will find these official pre-cancelled versions/varieties.

As to why they were issued in this condition does not appear to make sense as a used stamp could easily be reused again after being soaked off if no other cancel was used. There must have been a reason for the overprint but I do not have a justifiable answer !

Due to this fact I have decided to classify them as "oddballs".img_20200416_090823.jpg

Apologies for delay in replying Fred. My understanding is that these were used by bulk posters - thousands at a time. There was a discount as the post office didn't have to cancel them. I think it was assumed unlikely the local council would collect up enough used ones to reuse on a bulk mailing and they were restricted to one city in one year! Canada and the USA are the two other countries that come to mind with similar items. France just used stamps reading Afranchi Postes without a town.

Paul

Fred Sellars14/08/2020 09:27:39
399 forum posts
145 photos

Thanks for the pre cancelled info Paul, I guess the only way to recognise the difference between mint and used of these particular issues would be to check the gummed side,Fred.

Fred Sellars14/08/2020 12:27:02
399 forum posts
145 photos

Billy,

Just to show you that you are incorrect in you're 'faded' assumption, here are similar differences but with unmounted mint examples.

Do you still believe that these are faded ?

img_20200814_120824.jpg

Let me know your answer ! Fred

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers