By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Queen Victoria Line Engraved mystery!

1840 2d Black?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Fox 102/12/2019 03:29:04
2 forum posts
4 photos

4fa570fc-8c6b-4282-a6ea-a98753918518.jpegHello everyone! My name is Andy Fox and I am new to this forum. I’m hoping to get some help solving a mystery. I have a document with an adhesive postage stamp on it dated from what appears to be September 7th 1841. The stamp has all the characteristics of an 1840 2d blue but it is printed in black! The red MX cancellation and everything in the document indicates that the period is correct and that this is actually from around that time but no matter how hard I research I cannot find what this is. I’m hoping someone here can enlighten me. Photo attached. I can take more if necessary just let me know. Thank you in advance!

Paul Davey 102/12/2019 22:06:23
417 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Andy, a few observations. Firstly when & where? The postal markings are French, implying it is going abroad from the UK registered as the crown registration mark implies. However the overseas registration fee was 2s6d and in the late 1830s only one letter was registered in eighteen months! (See James Mackay “Registered Mail of the British Isles). In Jan 1841 you could actually send something abroad from places other than London or Edinburgh. This marking is recorded used from 1816 to 1832 by Barrie Jay in the county catalogue vol3.

In France 7 Sep 1841 Dijon to Seurre the next day. It would be interested to see the contents – a business letter in French? As it is addressed to Seurre and there is a firm's handstamp of the sender on the front I have to conclude the stamp and “British” marking have been added to a French entire. The cds for Folkingham (Lincolnshire) actually looks OK (can you read the date?). If such an item were genuine I would expect to see a London transit mark.

Then to the stamp. Whilst 2d blues can oxidise to a darker colour it does not (that I have seen) extend to black. Take a look against a strong light and check if it has a watermark. No watermark – fake. If it is watermarked then a clearer scan of the stamp (800dpi) would help and it could be plated (it'll only be 1 or 2 after all).

It is certainly a fun item.

Edited By Paul Davey 1 on 02/12/2019 22:06:51

Andy Fox 103/12/2019 13:55:22
2 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks so much for such a detailed response. The stamp does appear to have the small crown watermark, although hard to be certain. Here is the back side of the document. Definitely French!d8eae316-4dd8-429e-b910-a38b729553d7.jpeg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers