By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How times have changed !

collecting G.B. stamps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian20/02/2021 14:26:56
774 forum posts
364 photos

Back in the year dot, they cancelled Stamps with anything they could lay their mitts on, some years on they invented hand stamps, then they became really modern using machines.

I received a letter 2 days ago with an envelope that, as usual looked to have scribble on one stamp out of 6! I thought no more about it, however the irritation got the better of me as I had many funny thoughts going through my head.

So I looked hard at it and it looked like only the currency figure had been cancelled out in scribble, out came the magnifying glass! Well blow me down, this poor envelope had put on the brakes and skidded through the fast paced high tech machine, allowing all those underneath to go through UNCANCELLED!!!! The cancel was so faint it was barely readable but on this one Stamp it looked like scribble!

Now you have to admit that is something else when hi tech machines make works of art out of errors!!!

cancel.jpg

Unfortunately the Camera lies but the eye only sees on the middle top row, a mark over the 11.5p Stamp. However the faint cancel is now clearly seen.

cancel 2.jpg

I think the machine saw the Policeman's gesture and had a WOW moment?!!

It does become obvious the cancel did not skid but whatever it did do on the poor middle Stamp looked really like Scribble!

And you may think the bottom 3 escaped the cancel, not so, if you look hard you can see the orange aligning mark of the machine, usually clearly seen on white envelopes?

HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED

Edited By Julian on 20/02/2021 14:27:47

Fred Sellars21/02/2021 20:34:28
568 forum posts
238 photos

Irrespective of the cancellations Julian, you're last statement "HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED" is very relevant with today's stamp issuing authority. Fred.

Julian22/02/2021 21:38:42
774 forum posts
364 photos

I agree Fred, I don't think RM ever got over the running down and non funding on machines which were decrepit and worn out and getting up to date machines, buy Government in their long standing battle of wanting it sold off along with the demand for better wages from workers. I would assume its changed a bit now as we see some modern signs of cancelling at least. I have been getting some good Stamps through the door recently!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values