By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How times have changed !

collecting G.B. stamps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian20/11/2020 01:35:35
677 forum posts
276 photos

The way Royal Mail is heading we won't have stamps any more? I think with regard stamp issues you have to remember young people will probably collect themes rather than old stamps. This is a way of introducing young people into the World of stamps. There's a lot of pros and cons been talked about before on this subject in here.

My childhood saw stamps through the letter box and even a stamp club where we received stamps from around the World, educating us to Geography. I was even more lucky with my Father used to deal all around the World with electronics, Many a time we would be at Airports watching Planes take off and land or at big train depots spotting locos. We must remember that Star Trek had the first controversial kiss between ethnicity Capt Kirk and Lt Uhura and it is odd how Star Trek saw things come true into the future? In todays World it is all Technology for kids, nothing on TV worth watching? Maybe we will see a collection of Computers and Mobile phones, I remember telling other kids that a time is coming where by a chip will be inserted into the head doing away with them, that was back in the 70's and I do not think it will be long now for this to happen!

Julian

Fred Sellars20/11/2020 09:25:42
455 forum posts
184 photos

Good morning Julian,

So you think that in the not too distant future people will become Cyborgs, I think you have been watching too many sci-fi films with that one Julian, however, technology is rapidly advancing and the Victorian method of communication (by letter/post) is now becoming a thing of the past.

I also remember a children's programme by the name of Worzel Gummidge back in the 70s where as a scarecrow he could change his head to accomplish different functions 🎃 . Fred.

Julian21/11/2020 16:11:45
677 forum posts
276 photos

Hi Fred,

Yes I remember that show as well, I am not a educated man, all I have learned is very basics from my School days, I did not enjoy the "Black Board Rubber" hitting my upper torso!! My Grand Father taught me to read the time and he had a huge Aviary at the bottom of the Garden but bet on the Horses lol. He also gave me a huge bullet which he said came from a Lancaster. Those were my good old days ha ha.

I dread to think what children have interests in with the future? Maybe a anniversary stamp pack of Corvid no doubt if stamps ever survive, So what may seem boring to us will not to them.

I do try to make comments upon the reviewer of the comments they leave upon Stamp packs, as I find them sometimes like waving a Red Flag to a Bull.

But hey ho Stamps are the way to go?????

Juliian

Fred Sellars21/11/2020 17:27:43
455 forum posts
184 photos

"If you are a good lad, you can have the top off your dad's egg" as some mothers used to say in days of yore.

Colin Wright 2 said he had lost interest in commemoratives but did not give a reason as to why.

I also noticed your comments on the new commemorative issues you have recently made in the past, do you still collect them, and what is your perception of them ? As I am sure you may have your own ideas on these new issues.

For example, 18 different stamps in the latest "Star Trek" issue that excludes captain Pike !

Exit stage left, Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 21/11/2020 17:51:21

Julian22/11/2020 21:15:55
677 forum posts
276 photos

Hi Fred, No I only do the Competitions but I used to try and reply to the comments made who promotes the things, its to rich for me the price they want for them! This is an area where kids get let down to taking up Stamp Collecting is the Price!!! I am sure they would rather put the money into their cell contract

That is a lot of money a year on Stamps!! !Pike was a Capt before Kirk and he finds him. geez that is digging deep in the Grey matter?

I just tried to give a bit variety on the subject? Make someone laugh anyway!

Julian

Fred Sellars23/11/2020 13:49:56
455 forum posts
184 photos

I think you like "the thrill of the chase" from what I can gather based on your comments Julian.

You're not the only collector that likes to wave red flags to bulls, but in my case it's waving fluorescent rags ! Plus other things.

Have a nice day and carry on cruising, Fred.

Julian24/11/2020 15:01:04
677 forum posts
276 photos

Cheers Fred,

My banter or humour I am simple at and I have seen your knowledge base is very good. However I am a one from reading stories with regarding to stamps and I even buy covers to do the same, just for in here. So there is little I can find but to try and be emotive to stir up subjects and indeed learn through this method, even if I shine through ignorance, I was in the process of buying a war cover, which I would have love to post in here but I was beaten to the post.

If I see something I will grab it.

Julian

Fred Sellars24/11/2020 15:14:42
455 forum posts
184 photos

Ah ! You're a grabber then Julian...... " Watch out girls ", Fred.

Fred Sellars28/11/2020 10:43:40
455 forum posts
184 photos

On looking up your albums Julian, I can see see you have a very wide range of interests, much of which concentrates on Diana Princess of Wales, especially in mini sheet format. It's a lovely collection you have of her, no doubt you have other memorabilia such as news clippings and such to commemorate Diana, did you ever get to meet or see her when she was alive ?

It was amazing to see all the tributes that was laid at Buckingham Palace after the tragic car accident in Paris.

Have a nice day and stay safe !

Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values