By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How times have changed !

collecting G.B. stamps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars31/05/2020 11:39:35
419 forum posts
165 photos

It would appear that there is no end to the ever-increasing postal rates for letters in the UK, as on the 23rd of March it has yet again been increased substantially, the first class rate has gone from 70p to 76p (8•57%) and to a slightly lesser degree, the second class was increased from 61p to 65p (6•56%).

Have peoples wages or pensions gone up in comparison in as many months since the last increase ? I think not.

The Royal Mail's policy to issuing commemoratives does not appear to have changed either, take for instance the latest "Corrie" stamps issued on the 28th of May, again, with various unneeded/unwanted duplicated values, plus the fact that they look more like comic strips rather than postage stamps with their various captions !

This long-lasting and very successful ITV program certainly merits commemorating, but at what cost to the GB collector or dealer in order to fill the coffers of the Royal mail ?

Come on RM get your act together as with Coronation Street, or is it just to satisfy your shareholders ?

I'm sure that I am not alone with my above comments made.

Thankyou, Fred.

Collectra03/06/2020 19:22:36
22 forum posts

I collect GB using the Windsor album, I currently have pages up through 2009. Not sure if I want to continue past then. Even at that I'm left with a lot of spaces difficult to fill. My biggest gripe are the endless procession of souvenir sheets. Souvenirs of what, exactly?

Fred Sellars04/06/2020 08:11:36
419 forum posts
165 photos

Good morning,

Join the queue Collectra, as there must be so many others like yourself that have come to a similar conclusion regarding collecting commemoratives (if you can call them that !). The definitives are almost as bad and constitute the backbone of British stamp collecting.

There is another matter that also springs to mind being the absence of an email address for which to contact either the Royal mail or the GPO, do they have a complaints department ? They seem to have many sites promoting their products and services but nothing for the latter ! Having read many annotations in the "What do they know" online regarding this issue.

Try and contact them by email over an issue and you will see what I mean, they don't want to know ! But are quite happy as long as you continue to purchase their products and services provided, irrespective of the consequences.

Have a nice day, Fred.

Fred Sellars04/06/2020 10:49:06
419 forum posts
165 photos

As a follow-up to my earlier posting :-

Back in 1974 under the local government act of 1972 many county boundaries was amended in the UK, in fact some were amalgamated with other counties and abolished such as Rutland, whilst a few new counties (Greater Manchester) were created.

It would appear that both the GPO and Royal Mail are unaware of this fact, as many of their on-line sites still give their original postal addresses prior to the change over. Take for instance the towns now in Greater Manchester :-

Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Tameside and Wigan, which are all stated to be in Lancashire on some sites with Stockport being located in Cheshire !

Don't they even know their own address ? One would have thought so !

What do they know ? Fred.

Fred Sellars08/06/2020 10:55:35
419 forum posts
165 photos

As an example of my previous statement try entering into your search engine " Bolton post office ", you will notice the address of the county as being " Lancashire ", their information is only 46 years out of date, how many other cock-ups exist throughout the country ?

As with some of the Royal Mail's errors, I suggest you check them out also !

Don't forget which county you live in.

Have a nice day, Fred.

Fred Sellars26/09/2020 15:50:54
419 forum posts
165 photos

I believe that Kate has now updated her calculator to indicate the 2020 value of the £ rather than the previous 2018 calculation.

Thanks Kate, Fred.

Fred Sellars09/10/2020 17:32:24
419 forum posts
165 photos

So far this year, 12 commemorative/pictorial sets have been issued to-date, the latest being " Brilliant Bugs " on the 1st of October 2020.

Pretty printed postal prepaid labels is not what stamp collecting is all about, it's no wonder that people such as Collectra no longer collect British mint stamps from 2009 onwards.

Alas ! The stamp flood continues.

Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values